Senior Vice President of Operations & Strategy
Life House’s mission is to make independent hotels easier to operate and to be more profitable. We do this by providing an all-in-one solution which includes software, operations & branding.
We are looking for a SVP of Operations & Strategy to join our leadership team and oversee a number of critical areas of our business directing the strategy and execution of the operational components. We’re on the mission to make hotels operationally autonomously and this leader would be designing and executing a road map that expediently and optimally gets us there. This leader would work closely with the CEO to align on high level business goals and would wholly own the creation of a strategy, action plan & budget, and the execution of this business plan. Our ideal candidate is highly conscientious & industrious, able to create structure from chaos, and can build scalable operating systems and highly effective teams. This candidate is highly efficient, quantitatively driven, and a demonstrated leader.
Currently, we operate ~40 hotels, but are quickly looking to grow that to 200+ in the next year. Therefore, this leader will be tasked to set up the departments they will own for rapid scale through process, hiring, and automation - while continuing to improve upon the quality of our offering.
- A first-principles thinker: Your natural instinct is to reason through first-principles vs reasoning by analogy. We’re trying to accomplish something that’s never been accomplished, so the approach of “Because that is the way we’ve always done it” won’t get us to our goal.
- Objective-driven: You never start tackling a problem or project until you truly understand the objectives. By spending time up-front clearly defining and aligning on the objectives, you ensure that all of our efforts are pointed in the right direction.
- Highly analytical: You love breaking down complex problems using simple but highly effective mental models that you’ve created for yourself. You’re then able to explain your decisions through the lens of the mental models to others, to get them bought in on your logic.
- An automation junky: When you see a repetitive process done manually multiple times, it bothers you! You’re always on the lookout for ways to automate these processes in quick and creative ways.
- Entrepreneurial: You’re primarily driven by making a business impact, and understand that sometimes an MVP solution is better for business outcomes than the “perfect solution”.
- Ambitious: You are eager to make an impact, not just clock in and out. You thrive in a fast-moving, dynamic, hyper-growth environment and are able to operate fluidly between the 30,000-foot strategy level and the micro-detail to get things right.
YOU WILL (JOB DESCRIPTION):
The role will report to the CEO and oversee Strategy & Operations, Asset Management, Hotel Operations and Food & Beverage with the primary objectives to optimally set up the reporting departments for scale and effectiveness in i) optimizing hotel P&Ls, ii) advancing operating systems and processes, iii) reducing time and cost required to open and operate a hotel, and iv) increasing guest satisfaction and v) managing owner relations.
- Oversee Hotel Operations and Food & Beverage to ensure they have a clearly defined operational service and systems to execute on it in a repeatable manner with radical precision while actively measuring performance
- Oversee the Hotel Asset Management team to ensure it is optimally set-up for scale and effectiveness optimizing hotel P&Ls, advancing reporting and analytical tools, and managing customer (hotel owner) relations
- Oversee the Strategy & Operations team to build scalable systems and processes to support Hotel Operations, Food & Beverage and Asset Management in our exponential growth
- Be a key stakeholder in software development of these areas to ensure that we’re building the right software to solve our problems as a hotel operator and the industry’s problems while minimizing our reliance on third parties
- Work with the CEO to take our company goals and operationalize them across the company; co-lead annual goal setting with OKRs and measure performance and business health on a weekly and monthly basis from 30,000 feet and then down to the details
- Represent Life House externally, helping shape the evolution of the business
- All of the above would be connected to budgets and require building teams to support the company goals, roadmap, and strategy that are designed
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Has prior senior-level experience: ~10+ years of career experience spanning general management and strategy with well-regarded, global consumer companies in a high-growth, fast-paced, and ideally operationally intensive business with repeatable operational systems
- A track record of building and implementing thoughtful & strategic business plans to solve complex problems and achieve ambitious business goals. This includes OKRs, financial budgets, organizational structures, and scalable operating systems
- Proven expertise building consumer-based operations standards and offerings and leveraging technology to scale and meet those needs
- Has experience building and inspiring teams: Our ambitious goals will require an A+ team to accomplish! Ideally you’ve built and managed A+ teams before, and have inspired and supported them to achieve their highest potential
- Is a stellar communicator: You have well-developed skills to clearly explain commercial concepts at all levels and produce appropriate supporting communication materials
- Doesn’t necessarily have hotel experience: You don’t need hotel experience in order to succeed in this role. In fact, we’re intentionally looking to do things differently than the industry previously has, so a fresh perspective is encouraged!