As a Research Scientist at LifeBell AI, you will develop and implement signal processing and other software algorithms in the healthcare data arena. Your work will include processing raw data from LifeBell and other sensors deployed on patients in a clinical setting to derive medical indicators that help predict sepsis and other serious conditions. Additionally, you will likely work on related machine learning tasks and hardware interfaces.
You'll work closely with our Chief Research Officer, Chief Science Officer, data science team, and engineering team. You’ll join a tight-knit group that values collaboration, continuous improvement, and solving challenging technical and product problems in an emerging space. Plus, we like to have fun along the way.
LifeBell AI creates intelligent software that saves lives by harnessing the latest advances in machine learning, analytics, and sensor technologies across healthcare. We’re a fast-growing, fully funded, Atlanta-based technology startup, with both local and remote employees.
Join us as a Research Scientist in our mission to reduce morbidity and mortality from sepsis, a life-threatening condition that affects over 48 million people globally each year. Partners include top governmental, healthcare, and academic institutions.
LifeBell AI is founded and led by Erez Goren and Gari Clifford, PhD. Erez was previously the founder & CEO of Radiant Systems (NASDAQ: RADS, acquired by NCR for $1.2B), BlueCube Software (acquired by RedPrairie), and Hi-Rez Studios (70M+ players worldwide). Gari is the Chair and Professor of Biomedical Informatics at Emory University, and a Professor of Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Tech. Gari was previously an Associate Professor at the University of Oxford and a Principal Research Scientist at MIT where he commercialized multiple biomedical innovations, and managed a project to collect and analyze the world's largest public database of hospital data.
What You’ll Do
- Analyze raw sensor data and implement algorithms to derive clinical indicators from sensor data streams.
- Interface with and improve LifeBell AI’s models and analytics.
- Design real-world sensor data collection experiments.
- Test and validate your algorithms in both the lab and the field.
- Work with LifeBell’s engineering and data science teams to implement algorithms in production firmware and backend code.
- Assist in design of LifeBell custom sensors and patches.
What We’re Looking For
- 2-5 years of relevant experience in applying signal processing to real world problems or 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Some background and proficiency in machine learning, especially time series data.
- A team player who can work and communicate effectively with others.
- A self-motivated person with a genuine interest in the problems you’ll be solving.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science or related field.
- Domain knowledge in biomedical informatics, healthcare, or a related field.
- Hardware design experience, particularly around low frequency sensor technology / medical sensors.
Benefits & Perks
- No drama workplace, allows remote work/flexibility and autonomy.
- Competitive salary with health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Generous vacation, sick day, holiday, and leave policies.
- Equity incentive plan and 401K matching.
- Remote-friendly culture with daily stand-ups, virtual lunches, and a video-first attitude.
- Self-funded, stable technology startup with an approachable leadership team.
Core Values at LifeBell AI
- Save Lives: Improving patient health outcomes is our north star.
- Innovate: Our goal is to create industry defining moments, through technology & science.
- Be Human: LifeBell is a company of equals, and we treat all team members as peers.
- Aim for Excellence: We push ourselves, and each other, to improve every day.
- Less is Better: Focus and simplicity matter - we aim to do a few things exceptionally well.
- Get it Done: Actions speak louder than words, and execution is key.
Come As You Are: We aim to build an inclusive workforce. If you’re passionate about this role, but do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, we still encourage you to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, color, ethnicity, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or invisible disability status, political affiliation, veteran status, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
Remote Work: We are open to hiring remotely from anywhere in the United States. We know great talent is everywhere, and want to build the best team we can. You do not need to relocate to Atlanta GA for this role, although it’s our preference when possible. We do have periodic company retreats and team-events that include remote employees, which may involve occasional travel. These events are intended for your benefit, as an opportunity to connect more deeply with others.
COVID-19: LifeBell AI is committed to hiring during the pandemic, with all interviewing and onboarding done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team, along with our current staff, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our office. In the meantime, we’ve implemented various practices to make remote working as enjoyable and practical as possible.
Posting: If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit unsolicited resumes to our team unless we have a prior agreement. LifeBell is not liable for and will not pay for any placement fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Thank you.