Life360 is a Remote First company, which means a remote work environment will be the primary experience for all employees. All positions, unless otherwise specified, can be performed remotely (within the US) regardless of any specified location above.
At Life360, we’re on a mission to simplify safety so families can live fully. Everyday more than 33 million members across 195 countries trust us to protect and connect their loved ones at home, on the road, and on the go.
From real-time location updates to keep everyone coordinated, to Crash Detection and 24/7 Roadside Assistance, Life360 is designed to free families from everyday worries. Our range of Driving Safety, Digital Safety, Location Safety, and Personal Safety features are there to keep our members safe every step of the way.
Life360 has more than 400 (and growing!) remote-first employees.
In 2021, Life360 acquired Tile, the pioneer in finding technology, and Jiobit, one of the top real-time location monitoring platforms for families. These expanded offerings mark an important step forward towards achieving our vision of being the world's leading platform for people, pets and things.
We value having a diverse and inclusive community from many backgrounds, so even if you don’t meet 100% of the below qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying!
About The Team
The newly formed Network and Systems Operations (NSO) team is part of Life360’s Cloud Operations. The NSO Team’s mission is twofold: first, to provide world-class observability infrastructure and tooling for Life360’s 325+ engineers; second, to serve as the drumbeat of consistency that the other teams inside and outside of Cloud Operations can rally around.
About the Job
This role will monitor the day-to-day operations of Life360’s services while also working to improve our overall observability and reporting capabilities. Life360’s system contains dozens of microservices, all of which are candidates for observation, tracking, and reporting. Onboarding new services and maintaining visibility of metrics for existing services are part of your responsibilities.
This position is part of a strongly-knit team where good communication is a must. Life360 has on-call responsibilities for all engineers, which this position both supports and participates in. Responding to alerts as they come in, methodical execution of runbooks, and escalation of major issues to service owners will be daily events.
The ability to quickly understand large systems at scale is critical. Thinking creatively about our system, gaining strong familiarity with the tools we use to maximize their benefits, and finding new insights to report from our data are behaviors that will elevate great engineers in this role.
What You’ll Do
- Manage observability infrastructure.
- Use tools such as Prometheus,Grafana, and NewRelic to create and maintain observability infrastructure and tooling, including creating alerts, production reporting, and writing documentation.
- Serve as a member of “follow the sun” L1 support, working alone or with teammates to answer pages for all onboarded services and resolve or escalate issues in a timely manner.
- Respond to alerts in PagerDuty, drive incidents to their conclusion, and lead the effort to strengthen the system based on post-mortem action items.
- Coordinate cross-team and cross-functional efforts with processes, documentation, and tooling to ensure operational excellence.
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor's in Computer Science, Engineering, related field or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years experience writing/reading/debugging code in one or more languages, such as: Java, Python, Shell, Ruby
- 5+ years experience working with large-scale distributed systems and managing Linux-based systems in a cloud like AWS
- In depth experience with large scale observability and reporting systems (New Relic, Datadog, Elastic, Prometheus, etc)
- 3+ year(s) experience with solutions such as Docker, Kubernetes, system virtualization, cloud monitoring and logging
- 3+ years experience with IaC and config management tools such as Terraform, Cloudformation, Chef, Ansible, and similar.
- Experience working as part of a team, using analytical, problem-solving skills
- Excellent troubleshooting and attention to detail
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and follow industry trends
- Ability to analyze and optimize high-traffic internet applications
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Mental Wellness Program & Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for mental well being
- Flexible PTO, 13 company wide days off throughout the year & paid Holiday Shutdown
- Learning & Development programs
- Equipment, tools, and reimbursement support for a productive remote environment
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your preferred circle
- Free Tile Products
Our company’s mission driven culture is guided by our shared values to create a trusted work environment where you can bring your authentic self to work and make a positive difference.
- Build A High Performing Team – Communicate Directly, Be a Good Person
- Make Things Happen – Take Ownership, Think Long Term
- Deliver an Exceptional Experience – Users Come First, Quality & Craftsmanship
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Since the majority of our staff is located on the US West Coast, our primary working hours will be 9-4pm PST