Senior Software Engineer, Backend (US-based Remote)
Life360 is a platform for today’s busy families, bringing them closer together by helping to protect and connect the people they care about most. Our service provides millions of families in over 140 countries with features such as location sharing, private messaging, driver monitoring, car crash detection, and help alerts through our free and paid membership offerings.
We are growing rapidly, and have been a Top 50 app for over 3 years in a row, making us the largest mobile service for families in the world. Our customer base exceeds 25 million active users, who on average use the service over 10 times a day. We monetize primarily through subscription services, and are approaching $100m in annualized revenue. Our team is also on the forefront of a broad range of technologies (mobile, location services, hardware sensors, machine learning, big data) and maintains an infrastructure that handles billions of location points a day and collects over 20 billion miles a month of driving data (more than Uber or Lyft).
Life360 has raised over $200 million in equity financing, and recently completed an IPO on the ASX exchange, which gives our employees the liquidity of a public company with the upside of a private growth stage business. The team consists of 150+ employees, with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, and Las Vegas.
Life360 is a high-growth, freemium consumer mobile company that has raised >$200 million in equity capital since inception. Our customer base, which currently exceeds 25 million monthly active users (MAU), has enabled us to become one of the world's largest sources of consumer driving data with more than 23 billion miles collected per month as of Sept 2019. The company is at the forefront of a broad range of technologies (mobile, location services, hardware sensors, machine learning, big data, etc) in pioneering its family-centric platform. Life360 has over 150 employees and counting across offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Fort Lauderdale and Las Vegas. We successfully completed our IPO in May 2019 raising over $100M.
About the Job
- As a Backend Engineer on the Cloud team you will help build new scalable services that power the features of the number one mobile app that provides safety and peace of mind to millions of families.
- You are comfortable maneuvering legacy code bases and enjoy turning them into new state of the art technology, as we are breaking down a PHP monolith into JVM-based microservices on AWS.
- Our cloud team ensures that our API's are able to process tens of thousands of requests a second with the ability to scale 10x. You'll be a very active contributor to our diverse codebase.
- You use automation tools as often as possible, and develop and improve these tools.
- You are comfortable dealing with very large amounts of traffic to the tune of billions of daily API requests
You're that someone with these relevant skills:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience required
- Code polyglot: we primarily use Java and PHP along with some Python, Scala, Go.
Be proficient in at least two of these languages.
- Excellent understanding of data stores, distributed systems, data modeling and their associated pitfalls.
- Agile software development experience
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team
- A desire to bring innovative solutions to the challenges of scaling the API and platform
Some of the things you'll do:
- Build microservices in JVM languages, primarily using Spring Boot
- Work within the suite of AWS products like data storage and handling (DynamoDB, RDS, Aurora, Kinesis) and service deployments (EC2, EKS)
- Actively refactor, rewrite, and replace legacy systems into more performant technologies and programming paradigms
- Work with staff engineers to design features, systems, and services
- Conduct technical and code reviews and approve pull requests
- Be a primary driver for translating specs into a technical design and then into running systems
- Own your deployed services in production
Other things we love about you:
- Strong attention to detail
- Professional that understands the importance of craftsmanship and incremental delivery
- Comfortable with the uncertainty of working with new technologies
- Strong and clear communicator that can listen to their team as well as clearly articulate their ideas
- Strong collaboration and sense of working with a team to achieve challenging goals
Even better if you have:
- Experience developing services to support data streams
- Experience with columnar databases (Cassandra / DynamoDB)
- Experience with relational databases (MySql / RDS)
- Experience with AWS (EC2, S3, Kinesis, etc.)
- Fridays are Work From Home days at Life360
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Free snacks, drinks and food in the office
- Catered lunches throughout the week
- Health, dental and vision insurance plans
- 401k plan
- $200/month Quality of Life perk
- A great office with plenty of light in the heart of the SOMA district in beautiful San Francisco
- Whatever makes you stronger makes us stronger. We buy you the things you need to improve yourself and get your job done.