Staff Software Engineer, Backend (US-based Remote)
Founded in 2008, Life360 is a platform for today’s busy families, bringing them closer together by helping them better sync, communicate with and protect the people they care about most.
Our mobile app provides millions of families in over 140 countries with services such as private location sharing, location history, drive details, crash detection, roadside assistance and help alerts through our free and paid membership subscription.
Life360 is a high-growth, freemium consumer mobile company that has raised >$200 million in equity capital since inception. Our customer base, which currently exceeds 23 million monthly active users (MAU), has enabled us to become one of the world's largest sources of consumer driving data with more than 18 billion miles collected per month as of June 2019. The company is at the forefront of a broad range of technologies (mobile, location services, hardware sensors, machine learning, big data, etc) in pioneering its family-centric platform.
Life360 has over 130 employees with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Fort Lauderdale and Las Vegas, as well as remote engineers. As of early 2019, we are public on the Australian Stock Exchange.
For more information, visit us at life360.com
- As a Backend Engineer on the Cloud team you will help build new scalable services that power the features of the number one mobile app that provides safety and peace of mind to millions of families.
- You are comfortable maneuvering legacy code bases and enjoy turning them into new state of the art technology, as we are breaking down a PHP monolith into JVM-based microservices on AWS.
- Our cloud team ensures that our API's are able to process tens of thousands of requests a second with the ability to scale 10x. You'll be a very active contributor to our diverse codebase.
- You use automation tools as often as possible, and develop and improve these tools.
- You are comfortable dealing with very large amounts of traffic to the tune of billions of daily API requests
Staff Engineer Responsibilities
As a member of our Staff engineering group, you
- are a functional specialist that makes impact through either your technical depth or your ability to lead a group of engineers
- are the go-to expert for your function
- have the ability to create and execute quarterly technical goals, lead and vanguard our most complicated features, and mentor and advance the skills of lower-level engineers.
Specific requirements for this position
You're that someone with these relevant skills:
- 8+ years of software development experience.
- Proficient in JVM languages. This team uses primarily Java (Spring Boot) and Scala (Akka, Lagom); deep knowledge of either is required, of both is great
- Familiarity with PHP, Python, or Go since some of our systems are built using these.
- Excellent understanding of data stores, distributed systems, data modeling and their associated pitfalls.
- 4+ year experience with microservices
- Experience with the AWS environment and its various tools
- Fridays are Work From Home days at Life360
- Competitive pay with generous equity
- $200/month Quality of Life perk
- Free snacks, drinks, and food in the office
- Catered lunches throughout the week
- The computer of your choice
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k and various other benefits
- A great dog-friendly office with plenty of light in the heart of the SoMa San Francisco, or by the sea in San Diego