Open to Long-Term Remote For U.S.-Based Candidates
Level Ex is a fast-growing game studio that creates video games for doctors.
Our games feature thrilling medical cases built with the highest standards of game design and deliberate game mechanics. They also employ state-of-the-art graphics and physics technology, supported by the latest generation tech, allowing us to craft breathtaking virtual anatomy: custom-built GPU-based fluids, tissues, and soft-body systems that look and react like the real deal.
We attract top artists, engineers, designers, and others from prominent gaming franchises, like Mortal Kombat, League of Legends, Call of Duty, Walking Dead, and Star Wars. Our caliber of talent keeps us in the forefront of the industry: GDC ranked our game design talk #2 of 194 for sponsored sessions in 2019, and we earned 2nd place at SIGGRAPH Real-Time Live! 2019, sharing the stage with Epic, Unity, Digital Domain, and others. Meet some of our incredible team here, and learn why you’ll enjoy our company and culture - Video: Why Join Level Ex?
We’re currently looking for an experienced, tools-savvy Technical Artist to join our expanding team.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Create a suite of art pipeline and art creation tools to support new methods of high-end art content creation
- Architect proprietary asset pipelines that use the latest art and engine tools efficiently
- Identify ways to make 3D and 2D artists more effective and efficient - and make it happen
- Write scripts to automate multi-step art creation, capture, import, and export processes
- Define technical art creation and format standards across our products and pipelines
- Research, integrate, and configure new art-content systems like particle systems, animation systems, etc.
- Work with the art department to generate glorious asset renders for promotional use
Who We Want To Meet
- Minimum of 4+ years of professional game industry development experience
- Extensive experience building tools and scripts in Unity, including familiarity with the component model and tool-development functionality (2 years minimum)
- Portfolio of tools and example effects/assets
- Deep familiarity with industry art pipelines - understanding common problems and solutions for asset creation and flow in games built on a rapidly-moving tech stack
- Experience with rigging, lighting, shading, texturing, both in terms of content creation and in-engine configuration
- Comfortable working in Maya for both content and tool-creation, including proficiency in Python and MEL
- A strong sense of artistic style and control
- Experience in C#
- Comfortable prototyping and researching new art technology and techniques
- Experience with Substance Designer and/or Painter
Bonus Points For
- Experience with ZBrush or Houdini
- Experience with UI 2D framework
- Experience with creating Unity editor tools
- Experience authoring shaders in HLSL, GLSL and/or Cg a major plus
- Technical art experience in creating VR or AR content
How We Make You Happy
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with generous company-paid match
- 4 weeks of PTO
- 100% remote for all U.S. employees or ability to work out of our awesome downtown Chicago office if you desire
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
For the fastest consideration please send a resume *including* a link to your portfolio. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
Level Ex is the collective sum of all our individual experiences, backgrounds, and influences and we pride ourselves in growing and learning together. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an inclusive and diverse environment where everyone’s individuality is respected, and everyone has an Identity. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience drives us forward every day.
No Agency or Recruiter submissions will be accepted.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.