Open to Long-Term Remote For U.S.-Based Candidates
Level Ex is a fast-growing games studio with a mission to advance the practice of medicine through play. We make video games…. for doctors. Our team of games industry veterans use the latest engine tech and art tools combined with game mechanics that span almost every consumer game genre - to capture the challenges of the practice of medicine as video games.
Our games feature thrilling medical cases reimagined with the highest standards of design and deliberate game mechanics. They also employ state-of-the-art graphics, the latest art tools, and custom-built physics tech: including GPU-based fluids, tissues, and soft-body systems that look and react like the real deal.
We attract top artists, engineers, designers, and others from prominent gaming franchises, like Mortal Kombat, League of Legends, Call of Duty, Walking Dead, and Star Wars. Our caliber of talent keeps us in the forefront of the industry: GDC ranked our game design talk #2 of 194 in 2019, and we earned 2nd place at SIGGRAPH Real-Time Live! 2019, sharing the stage with Epic, Unity, NVidia, Digital Domain, and others. Meet some of our incredible team here, and learn why you’ll enjoy our company and culture - Video: Why Join Level Ex?
We’re now looking for an experienced Senior Game Designer to join our growing team. You’ll be working closely with the Game Design Manager to manage the day-to-day operations of the Game Design department.
What You’ll Be Doing With Us:
- Representing the player in all aspects of game design in order to deliver a compelling and entertaining gameplay experience
- Thriving in a dynamic, always evolving environment while working on short projects, making quick turnarounds, and delivering quality game designs
- Concepting, implementing, and iterating on key gameplay elements and designs
- Working directly with the Creative Director to ensure that the overall design vision and all aspects of gameplay are being properly executed and communicated
- Collaborating with a variety of developers, researchers, and medical professionals and incorporating their feedback into compelling and exciting gameplay mechanics
- Owning game systems and championing ideas
- Self-directed concepting, implementing, and iterating on key gameplay elements and designs
- Creating and maintaining detailed game design documentation
- Evangelizing your designs and defending them without ego
- Mentoring other game designers
Who We Want To Meet:
- Minimum of 6+ years of hands-on game design experience working at a professional game studio(s)
- Two or more commercially released game on mobile, PC, or console platforms
- Experience in mobile development
- Able to work closely with others
- Takes feedback well
- Solution makers who are not content to simply identify problems but who are driven to correct them
- A thoughtful design collaborator with a deep understanding of player experiences across a variety of genres and audiences
Bonus Points For:
- Understanding of the psychology of game design, and experience applying those principles in new kinds of design and game mechanics
- In-depth understanding of game mechanics across a wide range of genres
- Management and/or mentoring experience
- Deep in-engine Unity3D and/or Unreal Engine 4 experience
- Art or programming experience
- Experience with Educational or Instructional Design
- Familiarity with medical and anatomy concepts
Benefits & Perks:
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with generous company-paid match
- 4 weeks of PTO
- 100% remote for all U.S. employees or ability to work out of our awesome downtown Chicago office if you desire
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
Please send us your resume along with an optional cover letter detailing why you’re an excellent fit using the links below. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
Level Ex is the collective sum of all our individual experiences, backgrounds, and influences and we pride ourselves in growing and learning together. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an inclusive and diverse environment where everyone’s individuality is respected, and everyone has an Identity. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience drives us forward every day.
No Agency or Recruiter submissions will be accepted.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.