Open to Long-Term Remote For U.S.-Based Candidates
Level Ex is a fast-growing game studio that creates video games for doctors.
Our games feature thrilling medical cases built with the highest standards of game design and deliberate game mechanics. They also employ state-of-the-art graphics and physics technology, supported by the latest generation tech, allowing us to craft breathtaking virtual anatomy: custom-built GPU-based fluids, tissues, and soft-body systems that look and react like the real deal.
We attract top artists, engineers, and designers from prominent gaming franchises, like Mortal Kombat, Halo, Call of Duty, Dragonvale, Star Wars, and many others. Our caliber of talent keeps us at the forefront of the industry: GDC ranked our game design talk #2 of 194 for sponsored sessions in 2019, and we earned 2nd place at SIGGRAPH Real-Time Live! 2019, sharing the stage with Epic, Unity, Digital Domain, and others. Meet some of our incredible team here, and learn why you’ll enjoy our company and culture - Video: Why Join Level Ex?
We’re looking for a self-directed, agile, and deeply experienced Game Director to join our Core team.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Representing the player in all aspects of game design in order to deliver a compelling and entertaining gameplay experience
- Thriving in a dynamic, always evolving environment while working on short projects, making quick turnarounds, and delivering quality game designs
- Championing design and design decisions to studio leadership and client partners
- Working directly with the Creative Director to ensure that the overall design vision and all aspects of gameplay are being properly executed and communicated
- Collaborating with a variety of developers, researchers, and medical professionals and incorporating their feedback into compelling and exciting gameplay mechanics
- Inspiring and motivating our team to achieve high-quality within constraints
- Support Design Leads during phases of a project to maintain high quality and good working conditions
Who We Want To Meet
- Minimum of 10+ years of professional, hands-on game design experience, preferably in senior/lead design roles
- Shipped at least three commercially released game on mobile, PC, or console platforms
- All-around designer with experience working on systems, user interface, etc.
- Unity or UE4 in-engine experience
- Experience communicating and championing the larger vision of games across numerous types of stakeholders
- Strong organization skills, in particular time management
- Solution makers who are not content to simply identify problems but who are driven to correct them
- A thoughtful design collaborator with a deep understanding of player experiences across a variety of genres and audiences
Bonus Points For
- In-depth understanding of game mechanics across a wide range of genres
- Experience managing and mentoring other game designers
- Experience with mobile development
- Art and/or programming experience
- Experience with Educational or Instructional Design
- Familiarity with medical and anatomy concepts
How We Make You Happy
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with generous company-paid match
- 4 weeks of PTO
- 100% full-time remote until we return to our convenient, downtown Loop location (full-time remote for candidates outside of Chicago)
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
Please send us your resume along with an optional cover letter detailing why you’re an excellent fit using the links below. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
Level Ex is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
No Agency or Recruiter submissions will be accepted.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.