Open to Long-Term Remote For U.S.-Based Candidates
Level Ex is a fast-growing game studio that creates video games for doctors.
Our games feature thrilling medical cases built with the highest standards of game design and deliberate game mechanics. They also employ state-of-the-art graphics and physics technology, supported by the latest generation tech, allowing us to craft breathtaking virtual anatomy: custom-built GPU-based fluids, tissues, and soft-body systems that look and react like the real deal.
We attract top artists, engineers, designers, and others from prominent gaming franchises, like Mortal Kombat, League of Legends, Call of Duty, Walking Dead, and Star Wars. Our caliber of talent keeps us in the forefront of the industry: GDC ranked our game design talk #2 of 194 for sponsored sessions in 2019, and we earned 2nd place at SIGGRAPH Real-Time Live! 2019, sharing the stage with Epic, Unity, Digital Domain, and others. Meet some of our incredible team here, and learn why you’ll enjoy our company and culture - Video: Why Join Level Ex?
We’re looking for a passionate, curious, and driven Game Director to join our talented team and help lead our Game Design efforts - repurposing mechanics from the breadth of consumer game genres (puzzle, strategy, physics, FPS…) to capture the challenges of the practice of medicine.
What You’ll Be Doing With Us:
- Recruiting, building, managing, inspiring and developing our growing team to do their best work
- Coaching an experienced team of leads across Game Design, UX, Level Designers and Medical experts
- Representing the player in all aspects of game design in order to deliver a compelling and entertaining gameplay experience
- Thriving in a dynamic, always evolving environment while working on short-cycle and long-cycle projects, and delivering quality game designs
- Championing design and design decisions to studio leadership and client partners
- Collaborating and partner with the Studio Creative Director to ensure that the overall design vision and all aspects of gameplay are being properly executed and communicated to teams and stakeholders across the company
- Collaborating with a variety of developers, researchers, and medical professionals and incorporating their feedback into compelling and exciting gameplay mechanics
- Supporting Design Leads during phases of a project to maintain high quality and good working conditions
Who We Want To Meet:
- Minimum of 10+ years of hands on design experience
- Minimum of 5+ years experience managing and mentoring other Game Designers of various experience levels
- Natural leader that thrives on developing talent
- Business oriented, creative, people leader that understands how to navigate a client centric product company
- Shipped at least three commercially released games on mobile, PC, or console platforms
- Experience communicating and championing the larger vision of games across numerous types of stakeholders
- Thrives on coaching, mentoring and developing the next generation of talent
- Problem solvers who are not content to simply identify issues but who are driven to correct them
- A thoughtful design collaborator with a deep understanding of player experiences across a variety of genres and audiences
Bonus Points For:
- In-depth understanding of game mechanics across a wide range of genres
- Experience with mobile and free to play game design
- All-around Designer with experience working on systems, user interface, etc.
- Unity or UE4 in-engine experience
- Art and/or programming experience
- Experience with Educational or Instructional Design
Benefits & Perks:
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with generous company-paid match
- 4 weeks of PTO
- 100% remote for all U.S. employees or ability to work out of our awesome downtown Chicago office if you desire
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
Please send us your resume along with an optional cover letter detailing why you’re an excellent fit using the links below. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
Level Ex is the collective sum of all our individual experiences, backgrounds, and influences and we pride ourselves in growing and learning together. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an inclusive and diverse environment where everyone’s individuality is respected, and everyone has an Identity. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience drives us forward every day.
No Agency or Recruiter submissions will be accepted.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.