Level Ex is a fast-growing game studio that creates video games for doctors.
Our games feature thrilling medical cases built with the highest standards of game design and deliberate game mechanics. They also employ state-of-the-art graphics and physics technology, supported by the latest generation tech, allowing us to craft breathtaking virtual anatomy: custom-built GPU-based fluids, tissues, and soft-body systems that look and react like the real deal.
We attract top artists, engineers, designers, and others from prominent gaming franchises, like Mortal Kombat, League of Legends, Call of Duty, Walking Dead, and Star Wars. Our caliber of talent keeps us in the forefront of the industry: GDC ranked our game design talk #2 of 194 for sponsored sessions in 2019, and we earned 2nd place at SIGGRAPH Real-Time Live! 2019, sharing the stage with Epic, Unity, Digital Domain, and others. Meet some of our incredible team here, and learn why you’ll enjoy our company and culture - Video: Why Join Level Ex?
We’re now looking for an experienced, creative Game Designer to join our team.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Working closely with senior game designers on all aspects of gameplay, including high-level goals, balance, scoring, controls, and other areas
- Applying popular game mechanics to medically credible new designs
- Working in the Unity engine to create levels and define the player's gameplay experience
- Detailing case designs and requirements with supporting documents and reference materials
- Working with others identifying game events and data to be tracked in the analytics system for future gameplay optimization
- Coordinating design goals with production, product management, artists, engineers, and others
- Working with doctors and medical researchers on technical specifications, plus finding ways to incorporate their feedback as part of compelling and exciting gameplay mechanics
Who We Want To Meet
- Minimum of 3 years of hands-on game design experience working in a professional environment
- One or more commercially released games on mobile, PC, or console platforms
- Experience with Instructional Design processes and methodologies
- In-engine Unity3D and/or Unreal Engine 4 experience
- Experience creating, revising and maintaining game design documentation
- Proven ability to document and communicate design ideas, and make smart tradeoffs
- Experience communicating and championing the larger vision of games across numerous types of stakeholders
Bonus Points For
- Deep in-engine Unity3D and/or Unreal Engine 4 experience
- Understanding of the psychology of game design, and experience applying those principles in new kinds of design and game mechanics
- Knowledge of at least one industry-standard analytics tool (Leanplum, DeltaDNA, Unity Analytics, etc.)
- C# experience
- Familiarity with medical and anatomy concepts
How We Make You Happy
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with generous company-paid match
- 4 weeks of PTO
- 100% full-time remote until we return to our convenient, downtown Loop location
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
Please send us your resume along with an optional cover letter detailing why you’re an excellent fit using the links below. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
Level Ex is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
No Agency or Recruiter submissions will be accepted.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.