Level Ex is a fast-growing game studio that creates video games for doctors.
Games feature thrilling medical cases built with the highest standards of game design and deliberate game mechanics. They also employ state-of-the-art graphics and physics technology, supported by the latest generation tech, allowing us to craft breathtaking virtual anatomy: custom-built GPU-based fluids, tissues, and soft-body systems that look and react like the real deal.
We attract top artists, engineers, and designers from prominent gaming franchises, like Mortal Kombat
, League of Legends
, Call of Duty
, Walking Dead
, and Star Wars
. Our caliber of talent keeps us in the forefront of the industry: GDC ranked our game design talk #2 of 194 for sponsored sessions in 2019, and we earned 2nd place at SIGGRAPH Real-Time Live! 2019
, sharing the stage with Epic, Unity, Digital Domain, and others. Meet some of our incredible team here, and learn why you’ll enjoy our company and culture - Video: Why Join Level Ex
We’re now looking for a talented, experienced Concept Artist to join our team.
As a Concept Artist, you'll be responsible for visualizing game gameplay, abstracting medical procedures, and creating high-quality 2D art. You will have the opportunity to establish and grow a new genre in the video game industry.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Creating concepts for a variety of our games and products by collaborating with Design to visualize new kinds of gameplay
- Working closely with our Art Director and creative teams to ideate on storyboards, sketches, and key art
- Creating 2D art for various stages of gameplay production
- Storyboarding and breaking down gameplay tied to various medical procedures
- Working in a fast-paced environment where multiple projects are happening simultaneously
- Generating key art and illustrations to be used in a variety of pipelines
- 3+ years of concept art experience working in game development or a mobile apps environment
- At least 2 released games or apps on mobile, PC, or console platforms
- Proven ability to communicate game design ideas visually
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid, demonstrable experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Strong fundamentals in design, color, anatomy, perspective, draftsmanship, and composition
- Speed and time management skills - create high-quality art within given constraints
- Experience creating concepts in a variety of visual styles
- Ability to collaborate with Design, Production, Art Leads, Medical, and Directors
- Clean documentation and the ability to organized files based on best practices
- Adaptability - to work on multiple projects and tasks as well as modifying work based on new requirements and feedback.
- Portfolio demonstrating excellent design foundation and artistic ability in creating key art, storyboards, and gameplay concepting
Bonus Points Award For
- Knowledge of 3D applications to assist in concepting
- Unity or game engine experience
- Familiarity with medical and anatomy concepts
How We Make You Happy
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with generous company-paid match
- 4 weeks of PTO
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Full-time remote until we eventually return to our convenient downtown Loop location
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
Please send us your resume *including* a link to your online concept portfolio for review. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
Level Ex is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
No Agency or Recruiter submissions will be accepted.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.