Level 5, part of Woven Planet, is developing self-driving technology using a machine-learned approach to create safe mobility for everyone. Our goal is to build level 4 autonomous vehicles to improve personal transportation on a global scale. Woven Planet is a software-first subsidiary of Toyota whose vision is to create mobility of people, goods, and information that everyone can enjoy and trust.
As part of Woven Planet, Level 5 has the backing of one of the world’s largest automakers, the talent to deliver on our goal, and the opportunity for near-term product impact and revenue—a combination rarely seen in the AV industry.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in improving mobility for everyone with self-driving technology. We’ve built a diverse and talented group of software and hardware engineers, and each has the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on our self-driving stack.
Our team of more than 300 works in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, tests AVs at our dedicated test track in the Silicon Valley, and explores the AV industry’s most compelling research problems at our office in London. With support from more than 800 Woven Planet colleagues in Tokyo, Level 5’s work to improve the future of mobility spans the globe. And we’re moving fast — in Level 5’s first 18 months, we launched an employee pilot, and are now testing our fourth generation vehicle platform in San Francisco. Learn more at level-5.global.
The Platform Software team is responsible for developing software solutions to collect sensor data for our fleet data and autonomous vehicles. This involves writing software which leverages kernel sensor drivers, runtime API, multimedia API, and other third party libraries to run on edge compute devices on our vehicles. For this position, we are looking for a candidate with a strong generalist software engineering background, experience working with Linux OS, C++, system software, and the ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
- Develop, and own software frameworks written in Modern C++ to interface with kernel drivers, multimedia API, and our in-house runtime API
- Leverage experience to develop software solutions with sound design principles, extensibility and maintainability in mind
- Set the roadmap by working with Runtime, Cloud Services, Hardware, Embedded and Autonomy software teams and influence strategic decisions within and outside the team
- Be a leader, support best software practices, and mentor junior engineers
- Use strong triage skills to root-cause issues across a complex software stack, and develop processes to streamline unknown future issues smoothly
- Develop solutions for software to be run in a CI test environment, with a strong emphasis on automation to prevent regressions
- Strong Modern C++ programming and working knowledge of Bash and Python scripting
- Experience developing software frameworks which integrate/interface with kernel drivers, and other third party libraries
- Strong background in object oriented programming and writing reusable C++ code
- Good understanding of inter-process communication, Linux userspace development, and knowledge of Linux kernel development
- Tools/dashboard development for latency analysis, and Continuous Hardware in the Loop (CHIL) test suite development
- Ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams, and navigate technical ambiguity with only high level direction
- Ability to take things from prototype to production-quality software
- Ability to evaluate approaches and choose the best one based on fundamental qualities and supporting data
- 5+ years of software development experience
- (Nice to Have) Knowledge and/or experience working with different sensors - camera, lidar, gnss
- (Nice to Have) Knowledge/expertise in ROS, autonomy stack: perception, localization
- (Nice to Have) Experience with ISO-26262 and Autosar standards
・We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
・We pledge that any information we receive from candidates will be used ONLY for the purpose of hiring assessment.