Level 5, part of Woven Planet, is developing self-driving technology using a machine-learned approach to create safe mobility for everyone. Our goal is to build level 4 autonomous vehicles to improve personal transportation on a global scale. Woven Planet is a software-first subsidiary of Toyota whose vision is to create mobility of people, goods, and information that everyone can enjoy and trust.
As part of Woven Planet, Level 5 has the backing of one of the world’s largest automakers, the talent to deliver on our goal, and the opportunity for near-term product impact and revenue—a combination rarely seen in the AV industry.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in improving mobility for everyone with self-driving technology. We’ve built a diverse and talented group of software and hardware engineers, and each has the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on our self-driving stack.
Our team of more than 300 works in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, tests AVs at our dedicated test track in the Silicon Valley, and explores the AV industry’s most compelling research problems at our office in London. With support from more than 800 Woven Planet colleagues in Tokyo, Level 5’s work to improve the future of mobility spans the globe. And we’re moving fast — in Level 5’s first 18 months, we launched an employee pilot, and are now testing our fourth generation vehicle platform in San Francisco. Learn more at level-5.global.
The Strategic Sourcing Manager is deeply involved in the most mission-critical R&D programs within Level 5. You will provide top-level strategy support to Level 5’s Engineering and Product teams for these critical Level 5 programs, as well as drive execution activities. Specifically, you will lead supplier sourcing / selection activities and successfully manage key strategic supplier relationships including negotiating strategic agreements, major spend items including component costing, and supply management. This role is dependent on integrating and working directly with key Hardware Engineering, Software Engineering, and Product Development teams.
A successful candidate will have experience with traditional strategic sourcing models including category analysis, short-term/long-term category planning, consolidation, supplier scorecards and vendor management. Experience in the automotive industry is highly desired but not required. An ability and aptitude to work flexibly and swiftly in a fast-moving engineering environment is a requirement. Lyft’s sourcing process includes multiple phases from building a category strategy, identifying specific sourcing opportunities, running RFPs/RFXs, contract and SOW creation and negotiation, purchase order issuance, and scaling the supply chain from inception to sustained production. The process involves steps such as preparing global market research, price/cost analysis, "should cost" models, TCO, industry trends, commodity best practices and industry benchmarking to drive sourcing decisions and strategic commodity interventions to create better economics as well as higher speed and better engineering outcomes for Level 5.
In addition to the specific sourcing, procurement, and vendor management responsibilities, this position is expected to contribute to the maturity of the overall function. This includes creating and refining processes, tools and templates that can be applied across all vendors and categories worldwide. The Strategic Sourcing Manager will also collaborate with and be supported by Demand Planner and Global Supply Analyst roles already in the team.
- Develop supply chain and commodity strategies ensuring supplier(s) are capable of meeting Lyft’s current and future technical and business requirements; proactively align these strategies with the needs of Level 5’s engineering teams and drive execution
- Lead the identification, sourcing, and management of key manufacturing partners as well as critical component suppliers
- Establish supplier selection criteria, evaluate alternative suppliers, manage the RFQ process, and drive final supplier selection in partnership with Engineering
- Lead Total Cost Reduction program to ensure the lowest possible total cost, balanced with speed and quality
- Negotiate key strategic agreements with suppliers to establish best-in-class pricing, flexibility, quality, delivery, payment, warranty, and service terms
- Program manage new production or new supplier introduction activities
- Maintain expertise/knowledge of market trends for relevant categories in the self-driving vehicle space
- Drive Early Supplier Involvement initiatives to ensure our commodity suppliers are proactively providing input into new product designs and future product roadmaps
- Travel periodically to supplier’s manufacturing sites
- Other duties as needed
- 5+ years of industry experience working in Strategic Sourcing and Procurement
- Has been a business owner for assigned categories, possessing a complete understanding of internal and external variables that impact category and our business
- Independent self-starter with high degree of confidence and business acumen
- Solid team player; can work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment
- Strong consultative, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills; comfortable driving a dialogue at the senior management level
- Self motivated, reliable, passionate, and can keep to deadlines
- Multiple category experience is a plus
- Bachelor's degree in supply chain management, finance, business administration, related discipline or relevant work experience. MBA or other advanced degree is a plus
- SPSM, CPSM, or CTPE Certification is a plus
- Experience with product lifecycle beginning with NPI. Knowledge of the various pre-production phases (EVT, DVT and PVT)
- Comfort with legal frameworks and contract negotiation (development, supply, licensing, and service agreements)
- Prior experience working within an outsourced manufacturing model and managing third party contract manufacturing partners.
・We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
・We pledge that any information we receive from candidates will be used ONLY for the purpose of hiring assessment.