Level 5, part of Woven Planet, is developing self-driving technology using a machine-learned approach to create safe mobility for everyone. Our goal is to build level 4 autonomous vehicles to improve personal transportation on a global scale. Woven Planet is a software-first subsidiary of Toyota whose vision is to create mobility of people, goods, and information that everyone can enjoy and trust.
As part of Woven Planet, Level 5 has the backing of one of the world’s largest automakers, the talent to deliver on our goal, and the opportunity for near-term product impact and revenue—a combination rarely seen in the AV industry.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in improving mobility for everyone with self-driving technology. We’ve built a diverse and talented group of software and hardware engineers, and each has the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on our self-driving stack.
Our team of more than 300 works in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, tests AVs at our dedicated test track in the Silicon Valley, and explores the AV industry’s most compelling research problems at our office in London. With support from more than 800 Woven Planet colleagues in Tokyo, Level 5’s work to improve the future of mobility spans the globe. And we’re moving fast — in Level 5’s first 18 months, we launched an employee pilot, and are now testing our fourth generation vehicle platform in San Francisco. Learn more at level-5.global.
Cloud infrastructure is at the heart of developing self-driving cars: machine learning, simulation, data collection, and software delivery needs provide unprecedented demand on networking, storage, orchestration, provisioning, and observability. Making our base infrastructure invisible yet ubiquitous will be the charter of your team. You will tackle infrastructure challenges that have not been solved elsewhere.
- Own the long term technical vision and roadmap for our public and private cloud across multiple cloud providers, global regions, and physical data centers
- Drive engineering excellence by participating in code reviews, technical designs, and evangelizing best DevOps, SRE, and production engineering practices
- Manage and grow multiple sub-teams within the AV Infrastructure organization. Lead execution of team deliverables, organize team processes, and work with the team leads to plan and achieve Objectives & Key Results
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members, including other managers and senior individual contributors
- Be a strong voice across all of the Level 5 engineering constantly uplifting engineering culture and improving engineering processes of the larger organization
- Grow the team by working with recruiting to identify and hire excellent and diverse engineering and leadership talent
- Ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams, and navigate technical ambiguity with only high level direction
- Diverse experience, ranging from high reliability production environment to fast paced research type projects. Track record of growing the latter into former over time
- Technical expertise with cloud providers, infrastructure as code, networking, data centers, and infrastructure security
- Experience with modern cloud infrastructure systems. We use Kubernetes, Spinnaker, Terraform, AWS, GCP, Stackdriver, etc. We do not expect you to know them all, but would like for you to be familiar with some
- Able to motivate, instill a strong sense of ownership, and build a culture of accountability in your team
- Openness to new or different ideas and ability to evaluate multiple approaches and choose the best one based on fundamental qualities, supporting data, and business goals
- 6+ years of people management experience. Track record of building teams, growing the next set of leaders, and managing managers
・We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
・We pledge that any information we receive from candidates will be used ONLY for the purpose of hiring assessment.