Level makes benefits as simple as paying with cash, starting with insurance. To make this possible, we’re rebuilding every part of benefits so everyone wins. Employers can offer bigger benefits for far less, members get more freedom and choice, and providers are paid instantly.
At its core, Level is a fintech company with a diverse team from industry-leading companies like Square, Oscar, Uber, and ZocDoc. We’re backed by Khosla Ventures, Lightspeed Ventures, First Round, Homebrew, BoxGroup, and Precursor Ventures. Dental and vision is just the start. There's so much more to come in helping employers and their teams get more from their benefit dollars through fast, flexible spending.
This role is about doing the hard stuff. Level is tackling hard problems with great people, and is built on the understanding that great ideas come from diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. Level brings together all kinds of industries and people – insurance, payments, healthcare. These industries aren’t simple, but Level is taking on the challenge – from instant claims to growing a network, from a member app to employee insights. Strategic legal thinking is at its core.
What You'll Do:
- Establish a clear strategic road-map for multiple overlapping regulatory areas which documents how risk and compliance services will evolve and maintain a multi-domain view of compliance standards
- Create and streamline processes for privacy and security reviews, design learning models to support process changes, best practice sharing, and continual improvement
- Implement scalable compliance frameworks and standards to support a business in high growth mode
- Build out a compliance team to manage day-to-day operations across products and systems
- Understand and operate in a growing set of regulatory areas, including those related to HIPAA, ERISA, GLBA, GDPR, CCPA, PCI, and other insurance, payments, employee benefits, and financial regulation
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Level’s controls and programs
- Conduct periodic compliance risk assessments
- Recommend processes and tools to facilitate adherence to policies and standards
- Enhance compliance awareness and deliver training programs
- Liaise with external counsel on compliance matters
- Advise on corrective and preventative measures based on root cause analyses from investigations, such as risk-based business enhancements, mitigation strategies, and training
- Engage with regulators and auditors as required
- Wear multiple hats depending on the day by providing general legal advice and counsel to our growing team
Who You Are:
- 8+ years of a compliance and/or legal work experience
- JD from a US law school and barred in the United States a plus
- Experience in compliance with an understanding of how to structure and scale an effective compliance program
- High attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through
- Excellent business judgment with the ability both to assess relevant/material risks quickly and to communicate those risks to business partners
- Track record of taking initiative, having the ability to work independently, handle multiple projects with competing deadlines, and ability to thrive in ambiguity
- Great communicator that is comfortable liaising with multiple teams to solve problems
- Collaborative and solutions-oriented with a passion for closing deals while protecting Level’s values and business interests
- Experience working with confidential and highly sensitive information
What We Offer:
- Have the chance to work at a leading innovator and trailblazer in the world of insurance and payments
- A small, tight-knit legal department, with opportunities to develop new areas of subject matter expertise and grow your function
- Competitive salary and equity
- Remote first with work from home stipends
- 100% paid medical for you and 80% for your dependents, 100% covered dental and vision through Level for you and your dependents
- Flexible vacation policy - take the time you need when you need it!
- Fully Paid Parental leave for 3 months
Level is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. Please apply to this role if you feel you are a good fit, regardless of your race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other perceived limiting factor. We welcome applicants from all walks of life.
E-Verify Program Participant: Level participates in the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' E-Verify program (For U.S. based applicants and employees only). Please click below to learn more about the E-Verify program:
Level has exclusively engaged Kerwin Associates to conduct their search for a Compliance Lead. Any resumes sent directly to Level will be forwarded to Kerwin Associates. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Maddie Payne Murray (email@example.com) and Krithi Byadgi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Kerwin Associates is a Bay Area based executive legal search firm specializing in the recruitment of attorneys and legal professionals for in-house legal departments. Our clients – corporations, startups and investment firms – are located in one of the most innovative technology centers in the world.