Level makes benefits as simple as paying with cash, starting with insurance. To make this possible, we’re rebuilding every part of benefits ecosystem to create seamless experiences. Employers can offer bigger benefits for far less, members get more freedom and choice, and providers are paid instantly.
At its core, Level is a fintech company with a diverse team from industry-leading companies like Square, Oscar, Uber, and ZocDoc. We’re backed by Khosla Ventures, Lightspeed Ventures, First Round, Homebrew, BoxGroup, and Precursor Ventures. Dental and vision is just the start. There's so much more to come in helping employers and their teams get more from their benefit dollars through fast, flexible spending.
This role is about doing the hard stuff. Level is tackling hard problems with great people, and is built on the understanding that great ideas come from diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. Level brings together all kinds of industries and people – insurance, payments, healthcare. These industries aren’t simple, but Level is taking on the challenge – from instant claims to growing a network, from a member app to employee insights. Strategic legal thinking is at its core.
About the Legal team at Level
Level's legal team is the backbone that supports, facilitates, and drives Level's product and business growth. Because Level's business touches so many different regulated environments - payments, insurance, healthcare, and others - this team occupies a tremendously important and highly influential pillar at the company. On a daily basis, the legal team is regularly involved in critical operations and negotiations, and partners with teams across the business to solve challenging problems. Today, Level partners with external legal and policy advisors on our legal affairs, and we are now at a stage where it makes to sense to develop and expand our internal legal function and capabilities. Consequently, there also exists an extraordinary opportunity for function and process building at Level, and we're looking for individuals who correspondingly thrive in a fast-paced and oftentimes ambiguous environment.
What You'll Do:
- Structure, draft, review, negotiate, and close a variety of commercial contracts for the company
- Partner closely with the global sales team to negotiate enterprise level agreements
- Implement scalable contracting frameworks and standards to support a business in high growth mode
- Develop and continuously improve of standard form agreements and legal processes
- Wear multiple hats depending on the day by providing general legal advice and counsel to our growing team
- Advise business stakeholders, taking into account the relevant legal issues and risks, agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures
- Stand up frameworks and standards for inbound commercial arrangements
- Manage outside counsel as needed
Who You Are:
- 6+ years of a combination of law firm and in-house legal work experience
- Minimum of 2 years of in-house deal experience ideally at a technology company
- JD from a US law school and barred in the United States
- Ability to help a global commercial team based in multiple locations scale
- Experience with navigating data privacy issues in a commercial context
- Excellent legal and business judgment with the ability both to assess relevant/material risks quickly and to communicate those risks to business partners in non-legal speak
- Track record of taking initiative, having the ability to work independently, handle multiple projects with competing deadlines, and ability to thrive in ambiguity
- Great communicator that is comfortable liaising with multiple teams to solve problems
- Collaborative and solutions-oriented with a passion for closing deals while protecting Level’s values and business interests
- Experience working with confidential and highly sensitive information
What We Offer:
- Have the chance to work as a leading innovator and trailblazer in the world of insurance and payments.
- Have the chance to work at a leading innovator and trailblazer in the world of insurance and payments
- A small, tight-knit legal department, with opportunities to develop new areas of subject matter expertise and grow your function
- Competitive salary and equity
- Remote first with work from home stipends
- 100% paid medical for you and 80% for your dependents, 100% covered dental and vision through Level for you and your dependents
- Flexible vacation policy - take the time you need when you need it!
- Fully Paid Parental leave for 3 months
Level is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. Please apply to this role if you feel you are a good fit, regardless of your race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other perceived limiting factor. We welcome applicants from all walks of life.
E-Verify Program Participant: Level participates in the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' E-Verify program (For U.S. based applicants and employees only). Please click below to learn more about the E-Verify program:
Level has exclusively engaged Kerwin Associates to conduct their search for a Commercial Counsel. Any resumes sent directly to Level will be forwarded to Kerwin Associates. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Maddie Payne Murray (email@example.com) and Emily Murray (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Kerwin Associates is a Bay Area based executive legal search firm specializing in the recruitment of attorneys and legal professionals for in-house legal departments. Our clients – corporations, startups and investment firms – are located in one of the most innovative technology centers in the world.