Level makes benefits as simple as paying with cash, starting with insurance. To make this possible, we’re rebuilding every part of the benefits ecosystem to create a seamless experience. Employers can offer bigger benefits for far less, members get more freedom and choice, and providers are paid instantly.
At its core, Level is a fintech company with a diverse team from industry-leading companies like Square, Oscar, Uber, and ZocDoc. We’re backed by Khosla Ventures, Lightspeed Ventures, First Round, Homebrew, BoxGroup, and Precursor Ventures. Dental and vision is just the start. There's so much more to come in helping employers and their teams get more from their benefit dollars through fast, flexible spending.
This role is about doing the hard stuff. Level is tackling hard problems with great people, and is built understanding that great ideas come from diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. Level brings together all kinds of industries and people – insurance, payments, healthcare. These industries aren’t simple, but Level is taking on the challenge – from instant claims to growing a network, from a member app to employee insights. Strategic legal thinking is at its core.
About the Legal team at Level
Level's legal team is the backbone that supports, facilitates, and drives Level's product and business growth. Because Level's business touches so many different regulated environments - payments, insurance, healthcare, and others - this team occupies a tremendously important and highly influential pillar at the company. On a daily basis, the legal team is regularly involved in critical operations and negotiations, and partners with teams across the business to solve challenging problems. Today, Level partners with external legal and policy advisors on our legal affairs, and we are now at a stage where it makes to sense to develop and expand our internal legal function and capabilities. Consequently, there also exists an extraordinary opportunity for function and process building at Level, and we're looking for individuals who correspondingly thrive in a fast-paced and oftentimes ambiguous environment and are excited to build our our unique function at Level.
Reporting to Amy Pitelka, Head of Legal at Level, the Lead Counsel, Tax will serve as a legal expert on employee benefits legal matters. This attorney will bring deep experience with health and welfare benefits plans and related tax issues. This role is central to Level’s underlying business and this person will serve as a key, critical element of the Company’s future growth and success.
What You'll Do:
- Provide strategic legal advice to Level's leadership Level's core teams, such as product, engineering, and operations. Recommend constructive solutions to complicated issues, with a bias towards getting things done, and approach issues with a balance between legal and business perspectives.
- Advise on legal issues related to the IRC, ERISA, and other federal and state laws, and oversee monitoring of employee benefits and healthcare laws, and partner with Level's compliance teams to ensure compliance with all regulations.
- Advise internal clients on a wide range of benefits related operational and compliance matters with a judicious use of outside counsel resources.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with internal teams and help develop a smooth and efficient flow of information, along with processes and procedures in order to ultimately help to scale Level's legal function.
- Help scale Level’s legal function by developing and maintaining contracting and legal operations playbooks, contract templates and libraries, processes
- Research, evaluate and advise on questions arising out of the design, implementation, and administration of various wellness, and health and welfare plans.
- Draft and revise plan documents, amendments, and other benefits related documents.
- Review and advise on plan forms and communications.
- Manage claims and appeals from plan decisions, including drafting communications and advising the benefits committee regarding claims and appeals.
- Support various company initiatives and programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Who You Are:
- J.D. from a nationally recognized law school, with strong academic credentials.
- Member in good standing of at least one U.S. State Bar.
- 8+ years of employee benefits legal experience at a law firm or in-house.
- Subject matter expert on matters arising under the Internal Revenue Code and familiarity with ERISA.
- Understanding of tax aspects of health and welfare plans including the Affordable Care Act (ACA), VEBAs, COBRA, and IRC Sections 105, 106, and 4980H.
- Deep experience with health and welfare plans, including self-insured and self-funded health plans, medical reimbursement plans, FSAs, HSAs, wellness plans, etc.
- Experience with plan administration is helpful, including experience with the claims and appeals processes, participant notes, service provider agreements, etc.
- Intuitive product understanding, and strong relational skills with product, engineering, and design teams.
- A passion for working in high performing teams and helping people make better decisions around their healthcare.
- Excitement about being part of a mission-driven organization in a fast-moving and highly collaborative work environment within a complex industry.
- Keen eye for maximizing efficiency and productivity; a spirit of continuous improvement.
- Excellent communication, organization and project management skills, and the ability to independently prioritize multiple simultaneous projects with different deadlines.
- You are comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Experience working with confidential and highly sensitive information.
What We Offer:
- Have the chance to work as a leading innovator and trailblazer in the world of insurance and payments.
- Competitive salary and equity.
- 100% paid medical for you and 80% for your dependents, 100% covered dental and vision through Level for you and your dependents.
- Flexible vacation policy - take the time you need when you need it!
- Fully Paid Parental leave for 3 months.
- Quarterly Company sponsored events.
- Internal learning and development programs.
Level is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. Please apply to this role if you feel you are a good fit, regardless of your race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other perceived limiting factor. We welcome applicants from all walks of life.
E-Verify Program Participant: Level participates in the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' E-Verify program (For U.S. based applicants and employees only). Please click below to learn more about the E-Verify program:
Process: MLA (Major, Lindsey & Africa) are a NY based recruiting firm assisting Level with hiring for this role.
To submit a resume or request additional information, please contact:
In-House Counsel Recruiting
In-House Counsel Recruiting
No calls please. Candidates will be required to complete additional documents to be considered for this position.