Level makes benefits as simple as paying with cash, starting with insurance. To make this possible, we’re rebuilding every part of benefits so everyone wins. Employers can offer bigger benefits for far less, members get more freedom and choice, and providers are paid instantly.
At its core, Level is a fintech company with a diverse team from industry-leading companies like Square, Oscar, Uber, and ZocDoc. We’re backed by Khosla Ventures, Lightspeed Ventures, First Round, Homebrew, BoxGroup, and Precursor Ventures. Dental and vision is just the start. There's so much more to come in helping employers and their teams get more from their benefit dollars through fast, flexible spending.
This role is about doing the hard stuff. Level is tackling hard problems with great people, and is built on the understanding that great ideas come from diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. Level brings together all kinds of industries and people – insurance, payments, healthcare. These industries aren’t simple, but Level is taking on the challenge – from instant claims to growing a network, from a member app to employee insights. Strategic legal thinking is at its core.
About the Legal team at Level
Level's legal team is the backbone that supports, facilitates, and drives Level's product and business growth. Because Level's business touches so many different regulated environments - payments, insurance, healthcare, and others - this team occupies a tremendously important and highly influential pillar at the company. On a daily basis, the legal team is regularly involved in critical operations and negotiations, and partners with teams across the business to solve challenging problems. Today, Level partners with external legal and policy advisors on our legal affairs, and we are now at a stage where it makes to sense to develop and expand our internal legal function and capabilities. Consequently, there also exists an extraordinary opportunity for function and process building at Level, and we're looking for individuals who correspondingly thrive in a fast-paced and oftentimes ambiguous environment.
What You'll Do:
- Provide strategic legal advice to Level's leadership and help manage risk for Level's business teams as the lead insurance attorney for the company
- Provide counsel and advice on insurance regulatory issues impacting the Company’s operations and business
- Partner closely with Level's compliance teams to ensure we are compliant with all insurance-related regulations
- Oversee monitoring of insurance laws and the United States insurance landscape, and prepare and support issues related to insurance policy, form, and other regulatory filings
- Help structure, develop, review, negotiate, and close insurance-related agreements and partnerships
- Develop and maintain insurance legal operations playbooks, contract templates and libraries, process Wikipedia’s, and other tools
- Recommend constructive solutions to complicated issues, with a bias towards getting things done, and approach issues with a balance between legal and business perspectives
- Collaborate cross-functionally with internal teams
- Create and deliver training to Level's internal teams on legal matters and affairs
Who You Are:
- 8+ years of counsel experience, ideally with stints at a law firm and in-house experience. Experience in-houseis a plus
- Demonstrated experience drafting documents, policies, and emails in a detailed and efficient manner. Extensive experience working with and understanding insurance agreements
- Experience communicating with regulators to find mutually agreeable paths through complex and novel issues
- Experience developing and maintaining legal operations processes. You keep an eye out on maximizing your efficiency - looking for areas to further maximize your productivity
- Excellent communication, organization and project management skills, and the ability to independently prioritize multiple simultaneous projects with different deadlines. You possess interpersonal skills, especially in contract negotiations
- Comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, dynamic, fast-paced environment, and can apply sound, pragmatic judgment in ambiguous situations
- Excited about being part of a mission-driven organization in a fast-moving and highly collaborative work environment within a complex industry
- A passion for working in high performing teams and helping people make better decisions around their healthcare
- Experience working with confidential and highly sensitive information
What We Offer:
- Have the chance to work at a leading innovator and trailblazer in the world of insurance and payments
- A small, tight-knit legal department, with opportunities to develop new areas of subject matter expertise and grow your function
- Competitive salary and equity
- Remote first with work from home stipends
- 100% paid medical for you and 80% for your dependents, 100% covered dental and vision through Level for you and your dependents
- Flexible vacation policy - take the time you need when you need it!
- Fully Paid Parental leave for 3 months
Level is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. Please apply to this role if you feel you are a good fit, regardless of your race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other perceived limiting factor. We welcome applicants from all walks of life.
E-Verify Program Participant: Level participates in the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' E-Verify program (For U.S. based applicants and employees only). Please click below to learn more about the E-Verify program:
Level has exclusively engaged Kerwin Associates to conduct their search for a Lead Counsel, Insurance. Any resumes sent directly to Level will be forwarded to Kerwin Associates. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Maddie Payne Murray (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Krithi Byadgi (email@example.com).
Kerwin Associates is a Bay Area based executive legal search firm specializing in the recruitment of attorneys and legal professionals for in-house legal departments. Our clients – corporations, startups and investment firms – are located in one of the most innovative technology centers in the world.