Starting with dental and vision, Level creates a new category in Fintech to rebuild insurance making employer-sponsored benefits more affordable, flexible, and easy to use. We are a payments and insurance company committed to building financial products which make it easy for people to use their benefits dollars. Level creates more benefit coverage for people through straight-forward plans, flexible networks, and fast payments. Instead of monetizing unused benefits dollars, like traditional insurance, Level is incentivized to help members use their benefits. Businesses also save significantly with Level through self-funded benefits.
Level is bringing together talented, passionate people from diverse backgrounds. We are looking for teammates who are naturally curious. We foster a work environment where every voice in the room is heard, and encourage people to have a strong sense of ownership over their work. We believe in an inclusive culture where all team members can grow, contribute, and feel valued. Our creative, thoughtful, inventive team is building sophisticated payments and insurance products from our learning while we helped build other great companies like Square, Oscar Health, and Uber.
About the Legal team at Level
Level's legal team is the backbone that supports, facilitates, and drives Level's product and business growth. Because Level's business touches so many different regulated environments - payments, insurance, healthcare, and others - this team occupies a tremendously important and highly influential pillar at the company. On a daily basis, the legal team is regularly involved in critical operations and negotiations, and partners with teams across the business to solve challenging problems. Today, Level partners with external legal and policy advisors on our legal affairs, and we are now at a stage where it makes to sense to develop and expand our internal legal function and capabilities. Consequently, there also exists an extraordinary opportunity for function and process building at Level, and we're looking for individuals who correspondingly thrive in a fast-paced and oftentimes ambiguous environment.
What You'll Do
- You will help structure, develop, review, negotiate, and close insurance agreements and partnerships. You will advise on new products, helping the Level team understand what's possible and what's not, and also help us manage and mitigate business risks.
- You will provide strategic legal advice to Level's leadership and help manage risk for Level's business teams, such as operations, marketing, and engineering. You will recommend constructive solutions to complicated issues, with a bias towards getting things done, and approach issues with a balance between legal and business perspectives.
- You will support issues related to insurance policy rate and form filings, preparing regulatory filings, oversee monitoring of insurance laws and the United States insurance landscape, and partner with Level's compliance teams to ensure we are compliant with all regulations
- You will develop and maintain contracting and legal operations playbooks, contract templates and libraries, process wikipedias, and other tools. These will ultimately help to scale Level's legal function
- You will collaborate cross-functionally with internal Level teams. You will be embraced by your business counterparts and become a critical part of their teams.
- You will create and deliver training to Level's internal teams on legal matters and affairs.
- 5+ years of counsel experience, ideally with stints at a well-regarded law firm and in-house experience. Even better, you have experience in insurance industry.
- You have demonstrated experience drafting documents, policies, and emails in a detailed and efficient manner. You have extensive experience working with and understanding insurance agreements.
- You have experience developing and maintaining legal operations processes. You keep an eye out on maximizing your efficiency - looking for areas to further maximize your productivity.
- You have excellent communication, organization and project management skills, and the ability to independently prioritize multiple simultaneous projects with different deadlines. You possess interpersonal skills, especially in contract negotiations.
- You are comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Thoughtful about the strategy and metrics you set, but also able to hustle and execute on those plans.
- Excitement about being part of a mission-driven organization in a fast-moving and highly collaborative work environment within a complex industry.
- Experience working with confidential and highly sensitive information.
What We Offer:
- Have the chance to work as a leading innovator and trailblazer in the world of insurance and payments.
- Competitive salary and equity.
- 100% paid medical for you and 80% for your dependents, 100% covered dental and vision through Level for you and your dependents.
- Flexible vacation policy - take the time you need when you need it!
- Fully Paid Parental leave for 3 months.
- Quarterly Company sponsored events.
- Internal learning and development programs.
Level is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. Please apply to this role if you feel you are a good fit, regardless of your race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other perceived limiting factor. We welcome applicants from all walks of life.
E-Verify Program Participant: Level participates in the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' E-Verify program (For U.S. based applicants and employees only). Please click below to learn more about the E-Verify program: