Level makes benefits as simple as paying with cash, starting with insurance. To make this possible, we’re rebuilding every part of benefits so everyone wins. Employers can offer bigger benefits for far less, members get more freedom and choice, and providers are paid instantly.
At its core, Level is a fintech company with a diverse team from industry-leading companies like Square, Oscar, Uber, and ZocDoc. We’re backed by Khosla Ventures, Lightspeed Ventures, First Round, Homebrew, BoxGroup, and Precursor Ventures. Dental and vision is just the start. There's so much more to come in helping employers and their teams get more from their benefit dollars through fast, flexible spending.
About the Legal team at Level
Level's legal team is the backbone that supports, facilitates, and drives Level's product and business growth. Because Level's business touches so many different regulated environments - payments, insurance, healthcare, and others - this team occupies a tremendously important and highly influential pillar at the company. On a daily basis, the legal team is regularly involved in critical operations and negotiations, and partners with teams across the business to solve challenging problems. Today, Level partners with external legal and policy advisors on our legal affairs, and we are now at a stage where it makes to sense to develop and expand our internal legal function and capabilities. Consequently, there also exists an extraordinary opportunity for function and process building at Level, and we're looking for individuals who correspondingly thrive in a fast-paced and oftentimes ambiguous environment.
What You'll Do:
- You will help structure, draft, review, negotiate, and close all-things payments, such as payments processing agreements, digital payment services partnerships, banking relationships, consumer privacy protections, etc. Level, at its core, is a payments company, and you'll play a critical role helping the Level team understand what's possible and what's not, and also help us manage and mitigate business risks
- You will provide strategic legal advice to Level's leadership and help manage risk for Level's business teams, such as operations, marketing, and engineering
- You will recommend constructive solutions to complicated issues, with a bias towards getting things done, and approach issues balancing both legal and business perspectives so as not to interfere with the flow of the business. This includes federal and state payments and/or banking laws, card processing activity, rules and regulations
- You will provide ideas, solutions and insights on compliant new products that meaningfully impact our customers
- You will develop and maintain contracting and legal operations playbooks, contract templates and libraries, process wikipedias, and other tools. These will ultimately help to scale Level's legal function
- You will help protect our brand and technology through IP protection and enforcement worldwide
- You will collaborate cross-functionally with internal Level teams. You will be embraced by your business counterparts and become a critical part of their teams
- You will create and deliver training to Level's internal teams on legal matters and affairs
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of counsel experience, ideally with stints at a well-regarded law firm and in-house experience. Even better, you have experience in the financial and/or fintech industries
- You have demonstrated experience drafting documents, policies, and emails in a detailed and efficient manner. You have extensive experience working with and understanding financial agreements and managing relationships with financial institutions
- You have experience developing and maintaining legal operations processes. You keep an eye out on maximizing your efficiency - looking for areas to further maximize your productivity
- You have excellent communication, organization and project management skills, and the ability to independently prioritize multiple simultaneous projects with different deadlines. You possess interpersonal skills, especially in contract negotiations
- You are comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, dynamic, fast-paced environment, and you can apply sound, pragmatic judgment in ambiguous situations
- Thoughtful about the strategy and metrics you set, but also able to hustle and execute on those plans
- Excitement about being part of a mission-driven organization in a fast-moving and highly collaborative work environment within a complex industry
- Experience working with confidential and highly sensitive information
What We Offer:
- Have the chance to work as a leading innovator and trailblazer in the world of insurance and payments.
- Competitive salary and equity.
- 100% paid medical for you and 80% for your dependents, 100% covered dental and vision through Level for you and your dependents.
- Flexible vacation policy - take the time you need when you need it!
- Fully Paid Parental leave for 3 months.
- Quarterly Company sponsored events.
- Internal learning and development programs.
Level is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. Please apply to this role if you feel you are a good fit, regardless of your race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other perceived limiting factor. We welcome applicants from all walks of life.
E-Verify Program Participant: Level participates in the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' E-Verify program (For U.S. based applicants and employees only). Please click below to learn more about the E-Verify program: