LearnUpon is looking for a Staff Site Reliability Engineer to join our team in Ireland.
LearnUpon LMS helps organizations train their employees, partners, and customers. Businesses can manage, track, and achieve their unique learning goals — all through a single, powerful solution.
With offices in Dublin (our HQ), Philadelphia, Belgrade, and Sydney, we are a team that puts our customers' experience at the heart of everything we do. We're always striving for the best solution (not the easy one), and we go the extra mile to deliver work we're proud of.
Our culture fosters open, collaborative environments where our team and individual accomplishments are celebrated and encouraged. At LearnUpon, where we work together as a friendly, supportive team who, most importantly, like to have fun.
About the Team:
You will be part of the SRE Team, which sits within LearnUpon’s Engineering group. We are a small team focused on developing and supporting our cloud infrastructure and app services, to ensure platform scalability and site uptime. Our flagship product is coded predominantly in Ruby on Rails, with data managed through a common mix of current SaaS back-end technologies including AWS backed services. We also use local containerised development environments. However, we are not bound to our tech stack. We prefer choosing the right technology for the right problem so you’ll have plenty of space to grow your skills. We are key consultants for the entire company on matters of infrastructure feasibility.
What will I be doing?
As a Staff Engineer in Site Reliability Engineering you will be part of the team responsible for the scale-out of the LearnUpon infrastructure. Specifically, the main responsibilities are:
- Identifying opportunities to improve and scale our infrastructure for performance, observability, maintainability, and cost, by creating innovative solutions.
- Leading our efforts to build an observability function that incorporates application metrics, application transaction tracking, and event log management.
- Driving the processes to maintain resilient, scalable and cost-effective infrastructure.
- Working with other Engineering teams to provide infrastructure solutions that meet their ongoing requirements.
- Building tools focused on measuring, monitoring and alerting, with an eye towards self-service in order to promote Engineers’ ownership of observability.
- Reacting quickly to changing customer and business needs.
- Participate in on-call rota.
- Mentoring junior talent.
What skills do I need?
- 7+ years of experience in a software or Ops role.
- 5+ years of cloud engineering experience, with at least 2 years experience with AWS.
- Experience in designing and implementing Observability tech stacks.
- Have championed the benefits of Observability to Engineering teams.
- Can architect the design of SLO/SLI implementation that balances the needs of different teams.
- Familiar with cost analysis of Observability metrics gathering, Engineering effort, and tooling.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems that back a consumer app or website with associated requirements of performance, security and disaster recovery.
- Experience deploying Microservice environments, using containerisation technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker.
- Experience with implementing IaaC (e.g. CloudFormation, Terraform etc.), automation tooling (e.g. Puppet, Ansible etc.), CI/CD (e.g. Jenkins, Travis CI, GitLab etc.)
- Able to effectively communicate technical ideas to and collaborate with both technical and non-technical peers.
- Experience with database scaling would be a strong plus.
Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box in order to apply, we’re always happy to review applications and take all experience into consideration. We do our utmost to provide feedback where we can!
Not required but considered a big plus
- Certification in AWS, any PaaS, and/or related technologies.
Why work with us?
- Work in a fun and supportive environment with regular team events.
- Excellent career progression - take LearnUpon where you think it can go.
- Structured learning environment.
- Competitive salary and company ESOP.
- Private health insurance.
- 25 days annual leave + 1 Company day off.
- Flexible Working Arrangements - work with your Manager to determine the best working hours and location (home, office, hybrid) in order to help you balance work and family life, and to suit your lifestyle.
What is the Hiring Process?
Applicants for the position can expect the following hiring process:
- Qualified applicants will be invited to schedule a 30-minute call.
- Successful candidates will then be invited to a series of practical interviews.
- Finally, candidates will have a short interview with our CTO.
- Successful candidates will be contacted with an offer to join our team.
LearnUpon is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, membership of the Traveller community, or any other legally protected status.