LearnUpon is looking for a Engineering Manager to join our team in Belgrade.
LearnUpon LMS helps organizations train their employees, partners, and customers. Businesses can manage, track, and achieve their unique learning goals — all through a single, powerful solution.
With offices in Dublin (our HQ), Philadelphia, Belgrade, and Sydney, we are a team that puts our customers' experience at the heart of everything we do. We're always striving for the best solution (not the easy one), and we’re committed to producing work that we can be proud of.
Our offices are open, collaborative environments where our team and individual accomplishments are celebrated and encouraged. Join LearnUpon, where we work together as a friendly, supportive team who, most importantly, like to have fun.
The Engineering team is responsible for application delivery at LearnUpon. The delivery teams are organised in Scrum teams. You will be leading a team who values exploring, mutual learning and a desire to build quality into our products at every possible opportunity. You will be responsible for growing and strengthening one or more Scrum teams while upholding the culture and values that we have in LearnUpon. The Engineering Manager reports directly to the Head of Engineering who is based in Dublin.
What will I be doing?
- Prioritization & Execution: Drive execution by organizing your team around prioritised backlog. Help set goals for the team in line with the Sprint Goal. Hold the team accountable for delivering on the Sprint Goal. Monitor and escalate issues with team pace. Empower team members to own their work.
- Technical Execution: Is accountable for the technical output of the team. Upholds a high technical bar while making pragmatic tradeoffs. Monitors and adjusts team pace to instill urgency for success but protect from burnout.
- Leadership: Sets technical direction for the team on a regular cadence. Helps team and Scrum Master with removing obstacles and making improvements. Teaches the team how to improve and solve problems. Should ‘Go See’ to understand what is really going on with the team.
- Collaboration & Communication: Collaborates with stakeholders including customers, product managers, and others in development and execution of the team’s roadmap. Communicates technical strategy, rationale, and progress within the team and to external stakeholders. Works with their team and adjacent teams to solve problems. Escalates problems that have wider scope.
- Team Building: Resolves interpersonal and technical conflict within the team. Builds an environment in which teams deliver and improve. Responsible for hiring highly skilled people into the Engineering team while ensuring their values are aligned with the values at LearnUpon.
- Coaching & Development: Coaches, provides timely, actionable feedback, Invests time in career development of team members; e.g., via 1:1s and aligning employee growth with opportunity. Responsible for recruiting, performance reviews, performance management, promotions, and career planning.
What skills do I need?
- 5+ years of experience managing a team in a software development organization that delivered commercial software or software-based services
- Experience managing a development team or two, typically consisting of 4 to 8 direct reports per team, or even larger if necessary
- Has been independently responsible for all aspects of people management.
- Has demonstrated ability to successfully lead people, teams or projects multiple times in different contexts.
- Ability to solve, digest and discuss issues/solutions with team members that may not be familiar with such terminology/technologies.
- Test automation, TDD and CI/CD are familiar ground for you.
- Excellent written and spoken English for communicating with the team.
Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box in order to apply, we’re always happy to review applications and take all experience into consideration. We do our best to provide feedback where we can!
Not required but considered a big plus
- Experience maintaining large scale/production Ruby/Rails apps.
- Scripting language experience / DevOp responsibilities such as Perl, Python etc. or similar languages.
Why work with us?
- Work in a fun and supportive environment with regular team events.
- Excellent career progression - take LearnUpon where you think it can go.
- Structured learning environment.
- Competitive salary and company ESOP.
- Private health insurance.
- 22 days annual leave.
What is the Hiring Process?
Applicants for the position can expect the following hiring process:
- Qualified applicants will be invited to schedule a 30-minute call.
- Successful candidates will then be invited to a series of practical interviews.
- Finally, candidates will have a short interview with our CEO/CTO.
- Successful candidates will be contacted with an offer to join our team.