Lantern is looking for an experienced product designer with a expertise in user experience and visual design, a strong understanding of user research, and a passion for mental health and wellness.
Who we're looking for:
You’re an experienced designer ready to delve into the changing world of mental health, with a drive to positively impact people’s day-to-day lives. You’re ready to join a nimble, growing team on a mission to change the way people think about mental health.
Your core strength is user experience design, but you are able to take a design from idea formation through to high refined visual mockups. You have strong communication skills and are able to explain and support your designs to designers and non-designers alike. You are organized and naturally attentive to detail, ready to both lead and support design projects. And you are curious and motivated to keep learning and changing for the better.
You’re a problem solver, ready to use data and user feedback to understand who you’re designing for and what they need from our product. You use this knowledge, along with your own expertise, to create user experiences that are attractive, intuitive, and engaging.
Your role at Lantern:
Design is a core part of Lantern’s product team, and user empathy is a defining quality of Lantern’s culture. As an early member of the design team, you will own and collaborate on a range of projects, large and small. You’ll collaborate closely with design, product management, content strategy and engineering to create highly interactive, intuitive, mobile-first experiences in our product. Plus, you’ll be involved in marketing design and brand development, as well as helping conduct user research and usability testing. We are a collaborative team that believes in using a highly iterative process to create elegant solutions, so you must be able to give and receive feedback gracefully. You must also be a self-starter, able to lead projects in an agile environment.
Because our product is evidence-based, we have a unique opportunity to use psychology research and clinical expertise to inform the design of engaging, effective user experiences. You’ll need to be able to consider this scientific backing, along with user needs and technical capabilities, to produce designs that are visually appealing, easy to use, and emotionally engaging.
Lantern creates simple, effective web and mobile programs based in cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness. Our programs combine professional coaching with interactive exercises, giving users the skills and motivation they need to overcome mental health challenges.
Qualifications and experience:
- 5+ years of experience designing of digital products
- A strong portfolio that exhibits well thought out user experiences and a balance of usability with attractiveness
- A keen understanding of user behavior as it relates to design
- Familiarity with iOS and Android mobile design patterns and guidelines
- The ability to design intuitive, cleanly animated transitions
- The ability to to both lead and support design projects
- The ability to run or help run usability studies and user research projects
- Strong communication skills – the ability to communicate concepts and design decisions confidently
- Ability to work out of our San Francisco office–this is not a remote position
We'd also be excited about:
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience game design or habit formation models
- Experience creating and maintaining design systems, style guides or pattern libraries
- Experience designing in the health, wellness, psychology, or science space
What We Can Offer You:
As a vital member of our growing team, you will face inspiring challenges and make a lasting impact on products that makes therapy accessible to all. Led by proven founders and driven by a vision and mission, you will have a key position in a company poised to solve significant problems and establish itself as a major force at the intersection of mental health and technology.
With a $17M Series A led by healthcare giant UPMC, we are ready to grow and expand our reach so that we can meet our mission to provide affordable and accessible services that empower people to live their healthiest and happiest lives.
Oh yeah, and we also offer all the usual stuff too:
- Competitive salaries
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- Casual work environment
- Dog friendly office
- Stocked pantry with coffee, tea, fruit, healthy snacks, etc.