Lancium is dedicated to accelerating the energy transition. With passion and purpose, we create technologies and build infrastructure that enables more clean energy production while also balancing and stabilizing the power grid.
The primary responsibility of this role is to assist taking the company from a position of limited SCADA to safely running a robust SCADA system, within a period of about 12-14 months. This will occur in an environment of daily/hourly up/down ramping of large Data Center loads, sometimes requiring the remote operation of HV and MV protection infrastructure.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and maintain all functions related to the Network and Power Operations Center and its stakeholders, delivering with a win-win customer focus.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and codes.
- Proactively support and enforce the Environmental, Safety, and Health regulations.
- Organize and maintain project reporting in compliance with internal and external stakeholders needs.
- Complete the assigned work scope on time, safely, within budget, in compliance with quality requirements. This includes determining when resources are needed, timing, and the required skill sets.
- Maintaining effective working relationships in all interpersonal communication, including compliance with the HR requirements and reporting.
- Timely daily review and recommendation of engineering and work milestone achievements.
- Develop SCADA specifications and standards documentation such as Software and IT cyber-security protocols, Basis of Design and Operating instructions.
- Coordinate with stakeholders to provide and support all fiber optic circuits, DSL/T1 networks and communication infrastructure.
- Work with internal departments, external contractors, and customers to proactively create and advance the completion of project milestones.
- Ability to create and utilize lessons learned to improve the company’s standards and designs and find long term opportunities for optimization. This includes preparing the company for the full lifecycle operation of the SCADA system and guiding the transition from construction commissioning activities to operational activities.
- Develop and provide leadership with all data acquisition projects and communication methodologies for internal and third-party partners.
- Responsible to update progress in weekly structured meetings.
- Provide initiative-taking collaboration across the company.
- At times may be asked to resolve conflict within teams or discuss confrontational issues internally or externally in a professional manner.
- Perform all other related and compatible duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work with confidential information in a professional manner.
- Excellent computer skills in all Microsoft and Google Suite applications, and typical power industry systems and software.
- Comfortable and productive in environment of daily video conferencing.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and schedules in parallel.
- Knowledge of scheduling software such as Primavera, MS Project or Smartsheet.
- Able to identify deliverables and commercial issues by reviewing project information and working with execution team members to develop most effective execution model, including aspects of change management.
- Trusted to make decisions based on vague sets of information, lack of information and ambiguity with best professional judgement to achieve project success, never compromising safety.
- Best-in-class verbal and written communication skills. Able to develop, document and convey operations level deliverables to transition from Project environment to Operations environment.
- Understanding of codes and regulations associated with Campus construction activities.
- Familiar with common forms and commercial requirements of construction and engineering contracting, and able to create budgets for new work.
- Ability to communicate, build relationships, and achieve buy-in with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to complete the pre-employment process and able to work in the United States.
- Ability to work very effectively without direct daily supervision.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in managing large scale SCADA based projects and designing, developing, and commissioning large scale automation projects.
- Experience creating and reading logic flow diagrams for program design, programming, simulation and testing, and start-up.
- Experience with fiber optic circuits, VPN connections, industri.al networks, and industrial protocols.
- Knowledge of electrical power generation/transmission/distribution with knowledge of high voltage relaying and protection is desired.
- Strong business sense in understanding the impact of decisions on project budgets.
- Strong knowledge of safety procedures and management.
- Ability to professionally represent the company when dealing with external organizations.
- Experience in designing factory, site, and commissioning procedures and integration testing for external internal customers and third parties to measure up to expected level of quality and performance.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Professional Engineering certification.
- Knowledge of ERCOT nodal protocols, QSE and REP interfacing and telemetry.
- Knowledge of OPC-UA, DNP3, Modbus/TCP and other industrial/power protocols.
- Time synchronization.
- Demonstrated success in the feedback loop of communicating execution experience into future project conceptual efforts, operating a robust lesson’s learned process.
- Site Management, Field service and/or Commissioning background a plus.
- Working knowledge of Electrical Substation Protection and Control concepts preferred.
- Knowledge of Construction Law not required but helpful.
- Additional experience in Automation, Telecommunications, Security, Access Control, CCTV, Fire Detection/Suppression would be of benefit to the company.
- Configuration and maintenance of locally hosted and cloud hosted tag database historians.
- Ignition™ SCADA software by Inductive Automation
- Perspective module HMI programming
- Python scripting
- Alarming and Notification
- Enterprise Administration
- Inductive University Credential, Core or Gold Certificatation
- Four (4) year degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or equivalent, with practical work experience in electrical and electro-mechanical applications.
- Ten to fifteen years previous automation and SCADA design, programming, commissioning, systems integration and project engineering experience.