In Lana we want to provide accessible financial services through technology to traditionally underserved customers in LATAM, starting with gig-economy workers.
To do so, we have created a platform with an app that allows users to get access to tailored-made financial services in one single place and take control of their money to do great things with it.
Lana is currently operating in Mexico and Chile, but we have created a technological platform that would help us start operations in other countries in LATAM very soon.
We closed our funding round early this year that would allow us to improve our technology, expand our product offering, and continue growing and expanding into new markets.
Would you like to join us in this challenge?
About the role,
As a Head of engineering in Lana you will be responsible for the strategy, organisation and development of the engineering team.
Lana’s engineering team is still young (15 - 20 engineers) but it is growing very fast and we need to adapt its organisation to the ever changing needs of the company. As the Head of engineering in Lana you will have to assess each situation and propose solutions or changes to the organisation so it can better deal with the upcoming challenges derived from the company’s direction. You will be also responsible for identifying recruitment needs and play a key role in the recruitment process.
We strive for an agile work environment, but many processes, expectations, roles and responsibilities are still being defined. We constantly change to find the model that works best for us. In this context, communication, coordination and alignment are great challenges and we hope you can help succeed at them.
In our team, among others, we already have several great tech leads (Backend / SRE lead, FE lead and Mobile Lead) that are mainly focused on technical excellence and architecture, and they are currently also responsible for the management of the different teams. You will have to align with them to define the architecture of our organisation and systems.
As a leader we will expect you to help team members grow within Lana and in their career paths and enjoy their time in the company.
As the Head of engineering you will be the main point of contact of the engineering team with the business and product counterparts. You will be part of the management team participating in the company strategic decisions providing the engineering and technical context. You will be directly reporting to the CEO/COO.
This is a leadership hands-on role in an early stage company, so it's a great opportunity to make your mark from the very beginning. Your decisions will affect how the company moves in the future.
We’re looking for a talented and experienced manager & leader (CTO, VP of engineering, Head of engineering, Engineering Manager) with a proven track record on managing / growing an Engineering or Product Team in a multinational startup / company.
What will you bring?
- Strategic product and technology mindset
- Large experience as an engineer (>8 years)
- Experience leading, coaching and developing engineers (>5 years)
- Experience in rapid growth teams or startups with agile methodologies such as Scrum, LEAN, Kanban, DevOps, and/or others, and having a solid grasp on when to use different approaches
- (Not a must but highly valued) Experience in Financial Services / Fintech or in any regulated industry
- (Not a must but highly valued) Experience leading remote engineering teams located in different time-zones
- (Not a must but highly valued) Experience in platform based companies
Who are you?
- You are socially conscious and consider your job as mean to have an impact
- You are humble and eager to learn
- You are interested in understanding the business and participating in the decision making process.
- You prefer leading by example than imposition
- You are proactive to take on responsibilities, make decisions and always have solid arguments
- You can defend your ideas but are flexible to understand other’s positions
- You strive to "work yourself out of a job", by empowering each team to become self-managing and autonomous
- You are empathetic and can put yourself in other’s shoes
- You are comfortable communicating in English (spoken and written).
- You are able to work from a European or American time zone.
- You are available for occasional travel to Europe (Madrid) and Latin America (Mexico City, Santigo, and possibly other destinations in the future) - Max 6 weeks per year -
This of course is not a comprehensive list that you have to match 100% but just a general guideline, if you don't fit all of it, apply anyway!
We’re a company full of happy, motivated people and we never want to change that. Here are some more reasons why to join us:
- Salary range: 80 - 110K
- Flexible working hours and remote days (we currently work remotely 2 or 3 days per week)
- 22 days paid vacation plus all the public holidays, 2 extra days off over the Christmas period and half a day on your birthday and child's birthday.
- Flexible remuneration: restaurant tickets, transport tickets, healthcare, and childcare.
- Fun team and personal development programs.
- (If you join us in a city where we have an office) Nice office environment with free fruit and coffee.
- Any additional benefit approved by Lana’s board for your employee tier.
- All the gear you need - just bring yourself!
Lana is proud of being an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees regardless of background, gender, religion, orientation, age or ability.