The CG Facial Rigger is responsible for creating scripts and tools to aid in the creation of highly detailed, flexible facial rigs that will be printed for use on physical puppets. The role will also involve rigging a wide variety of faces, whose designs range from anatomically-based humans and animals to completely unique cartoon-styled characters. CG Facial Riggers educate Facial Animators on rig usage, as well as support the rigs throughout the production process to meet the changing requirements of other departments including CG Texture, CG Modeling, Puppet-building and 3D Printing.
Essential Job Functions
- Creates highly art-directed facial rigs using a variety of techniques
- Designs, writes, and implements new Python scripts, tools, plugins, and techniques to aid in the facial rigging process
- Builds GUIs for integration of tools into a facial rigging pipeline
- Sculpts anatomically-based facial blend shapes
- Troubleshoots rigs in animation scenes
- Works effectively as part of a small team of Facial Riggers to freely share ideas, techniques, and feedback to optimize department workflows
- Degree in computer science, art, animation, engineering, or equivalent experience that would equal the same level of professionalism, problem solving and analytical skills
- 3-4 years of CG feature film and/or Visual Effects or equivalent facial rigging, scripting and tool development experience
- Proven ability in developing scripts, tools, and plugins within a CG animation pipeline. Proficiency with Python is a must. Knowledge and experience with PyQT/PySide , Maya API, C/C++, etc. is preferred
- Strong knowledge of Maya’s rigging tools and processes
- Experience with Maya’s sculpting tools for creating blend shapes
- Experience rigging a variety of production-level facial animation systems
- Strong comprehension of anatomy and articulation (human and creature mechanics)
- Modeling skills and ability to understand polygonal edge flow and how it relates to facial rigging
- Excellent communication skills
- 3D printing experience a plus
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.