As our Puppet Production Manager, you are responsible for ensuring on-time and on-budget delivery of all Puppet related assets while providing managerial support to the Puppet team. With creative and technical input from the Director, Production Designer and the Puppet Fabrication Supervisors, you will create, manage, and drive the Puppet schedule from conception through completion of project. As a project progresses and assets are delivered, you will work with the Production Dept to determine and implement ongoing adjustments to meet larger scheduling and budgeting goals.
Essential Job Functions
- Create, schedule and oversee all tasks associated with the successful delivery of all puppets.
- Bid (and rebid as needed) the Puppet Dept asset fabrication tasks across the scope of the show.
- Utilizing production reports, track productivity, analyze delays, evaluate and resolve potential obstacles to completion of tasks.
- Establish daily and long-term expectations of crew by providing coordinators, creative leads and individual artists with weekly targets and quarterly milestones.
- Along with the Puppet Fabrication Supervisors and Coordinator team, identify and assign responsibility and oversite of technical and creative tasks to fulfill the expectations of the schedule.
- Reinforce the goals and deadlines for all deliverables with the Puppet team. Communicate changes with Production as needed.
- Work closely with the Producer and Production Accountant to ensure that the budget and schedules are accurate and up-to-date.
- Partner with the Puppet Fabrication Supervisors, Animation Supervisor and relevant department Supervisors to determine complexity of builds and identify potential simplifications to ensure successful delivery.
- Identify potential problem areas within the production workflow and work with the Puppet Fabrication Supervisors to help new processes move forward and to institutionalize improvements.
- Partner with Production team and Puppet Fabrication Supervisors to create proven scenarios and schedules that accomplish creative and budgetary goals.
- Manage and mentor the Puppet department staff.
- Convey studio initiatives to the crew.
- Work with the H.R. department on employee relations issues.
- Partner with Recruiting department and the Producer for all hiring needs as Hiring Manager.
- Complete and deliver the performance feedback reviews for department staff members.
- Bachelor’s degree in film, art, communications or related field.
- 5+ years experience in a production management role in feature films, stop-motion experience a plus.
- Ability to plan, schedule and monitor progress across multiple, interdependent departments.
- An understanding of materials and processes used in Puppet fabrication.
- Adaptable to the needs of Puppet Dept. and the studio as a whole.
- Experience with asset management database software, preferably Shotgun.
- Proven project management experience with MS Project and Excel, or similar package (such as FastTrack).
- Base-level knowledge of Photoshop a plus.
- 2+ years experience working with stop motion animation highly desired.
- Able to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Exhibit strong attention to detail, communication skills, great attitude, and work ethic.
- Must be adaptable and capable of re-prioritizing according to evolving project goals.
- Capable of motivating and leading teams with enthusiasm.
- Calm and personable under pressure and when working toward tight deadlines within a production driven environment.
- Clear planning, problem solving and analytic skills. Organized and methodical in approach to work.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees so classified.