A Matchmover creates a virtual camera, simple terrain, reference geometry and, in some cases, a character and/or object matchmove that locks into a background plate shot on set. Information such as lens data, survey, reference images and motion control data is collected onset and delivered to the Matchmover to help insure the best possible matchmove in the most economical amount of time. Matchmoves are delivered to the rest of the Visual Effects Department for use in adding other 3D CG elements such as animated characters, creatures, props, digital set extensions or digital enhancement to real objects or characters in a plate. Matchmoves are also used by 2D compositors to lock 2D elements such as matte paintings and bluescreen / greenscreen elements into a background plate or to help lock multiple moving plates together. Knowledge of 2D and 3D tracking software is required in order to meet the variety of different ways a matchmove can be created and manipulated in post.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Create motion files matching the original background plate photography for use with other 2D and 3D software.
- Knowledge of dewarping and stabalization of plate photography.
- Stereographic experience preferred.
- Modeling skills to create rough set geometry from survey information and simple geo for object matchmoves when models not available from Models department.
- Simple lighting, rendering, and compositing to check that your work locks with the backgound.
- Basic 3D animation skills are required if/when matching any live-action characters and/or props that interact with both the lighting or CG characters.
- Develop solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction.
- Accountable for meeting productivity and quota targets.
- Participates in team reviews of work under development.
- Interacts with peers and/or managers to exchange semi-complex information related to assigned activities.
- B.S./B.A. in film, art or related field or equivalent combination of education/or experience.
- 3+ years of related experience in the field, preferably in motion picture computer graphics.
- Requires an extensive understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspective as well as professional experience using Maya and Houdini.
- Maya, 3D Equalizer, PFTrack, Boujou, or Syntheyes, preferred.
- Nuke preferred.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.