The Animation Technical Director is responsible for working with the Technical Supervisor and Sr. Technical Director to support a team of artists in the production and 3D printing of character facial animation for use in the replacement animation process.
The primary role is to triage technical problems as artists encounter them, and to facilitate fixes. In this role they also will support the Technical Supervisor and Sr. Technical Director in the implementation of refinements and updates to the workflow and toolsets.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist CG facial animators in setting up shots. Ensuring proper asset and rig versions are used. Adjust scenes as needed. Setup picker or studio library type utilities.
- Add deformers to achieve shot specific requirements (i.e. smushed faces, objects in characters’ mouths, etc.). Some of this work would be in coordination with our facial rigging team.
- Troubleshoot scenes. This would involve identifying and issues such as bad key frame tangents, pose issues, tech checks, spot-check failures, etc.
- Work with the 3D Printer Technicians to identify bad print files, investigate the pose or print file and either perform the fix or get further technical directory assistance.
- Perform character-specific print-process troubleshooting and simplification tasks.
- Monitor and prevent issues with animation & print export issues and 3D print slicing jobs.
- Write scripts to automate any of the above, and to improve flexibility and control for artists managing complex shots. As the Animation Technical Director accumulates familiarity with problems, they can either create utilities or spec up new tools to address repeatable, common issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or other relevant area of study and/or equivalent job experience
- 3-5 years experience in a CG production pipeline, specifically with using Maya for rigging and deformation
- Should be familiar with modeling toolsets, workflows, and concepts
- Strong knowledge with Maya plug-in development, Mel scripting, Python and other similar scripting languages, and PyQt and other similar UI building frameworks
- Understanding of large CG animation pipelines, from asset creation to final image
- Experience working in Linux
- Should be comfortable and able to utilize scripting to automate processes in Maya
- Good problem solving skills - able to find solutions to formidable problems through the creative use of existing tools.
- Organized and effective communicator
- Facial rigging experience, a plus
- 3D animation experience, a plus
- 3D printing experience, a plus
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.