The Art Department Production Manager’s responsibility is to manage and oversee the Art Department’s overall budget, schedule and build process. He/she is responsible for delivering functional builds according to schedule, on time and on budget while staying on style as defined by the Director, Production Designer & Art Direction team.
He/she will oversee all employees and ensure the department’s ongoing communication with production.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop fabrication bids and schedules in conjunction with the Producer/Production Management and department HODs. Responsible for revising as necessary.
- Working closely with Producer and Production Accountant, estimate Art department materials costs based on script breakdowns, concept art and hiring needs. Responsible for re-bidding as necessary.
- Oversee the purchasing, monitoring, and maintenance of all tools, equipment and materials necessary for fabrication.
- Alongside Safety Program Manager, ensure that all work in the Art Department adheres to health and safety regulations.
- Oversee all builds to ensure effective and timely deliveries, collaborating with HOD’s to resolve technical challenges.
- Identify builds with specific technical and/or interdepartmental needs based on script breakdowns, concept art and storyboards. Lead necessary meetings and reviews to facilitate information sharing, R&D and testing, and determine best course forward to complete these builds within delivery deadlines.
- In collaboration with HOD’s, stay apprised of new, relevant technologies and build relationships with independent contractors and outside vendors as appropriate.
- Oversight of physical spaces and assets within Art Department shops: shop layout, materials storage, set storage, asset deliveries, splits, strikes, wrap and archiving.
- Responsible for working with the Producer, HR and Recruiting in hiring Art Department employees.
- Oversee regular department meetings and follow-through on action items arising from these meetings.
- Work with Art Department Coordinators to ensure all schedule information is accurately recorded and communicated to crew.
- Oversee day-to-day operations and Art Department employees.
- Communicate with employees to help guide their professional growth within the department and at the Studio.
- Keep Art Department employees informed of studio, production, and departmental developments.
- Ensure regular communications with Producer/Production to flag any build or staffing issues and figure out solutions.
- Experience with set fabrication and design, preferably with a focus on stop-motion or miniatures.
- Experience with stop-motion feature or commercial fabrication preferred.
- 3+ years experience with managing artists preferred.
- Possess both creative and management skills.
- Knowledge of project management software (Shotgun, FastTrack, MS Project, Excel).
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees so classified.