The Lighting Artist is responsible for creating lit environments and elements, establishing an aesthetic look that achieves the vision of the Director and Client.
Essential Job Functions
- Design and create the lighting of computer generated objects and scenes in support of the visual style of the project under the supervision of the Director.
- Troubleshoot creative and technical issues.
- Partner with other CG artists to support the needs of the project.
- Maintain a high level of quality while working on multiple projects under aggressive deadlines.
- Perform technical work in support of shot lighting using various production tools.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Animation, Art or other relevant area of study and/or equivalent job experience.
- 3+ years of high-end production experience in commercials, television or feature films as a Lighter or Lighting TD.
- Knowledge of applicable software and platforms including Maya and mental ray is required.
- Experience lighting full CG environments as well as integrating CG elements into live-action plates is required.
- Working knowledge of Digital Compositing is required.
- At least one year Digital Compositing experience in a node based compositing package (such as Nuke) is a plus.
- Experience with advanced techniques such as Global Illumination, HDRI, subsurface scattering and real world lighting set ups is a plus.
- Experience with other CG disciplines is a plus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.