The Jr. Metal Fabricator is responsible for assisting the Mechanical Fabrication Department in all aspects of metal work and fabrication for production sets and mechanical items, which adhere to the designs set forth by the Fabrication Supervisor and/or Art Director. They must be able to follow direction, work in a group or individually, work to scale, have a keen eye for details and be able to read design drawings. All fabrication must be done with accuracy, and stand up to heavy use. Communication with multiple departments and Head of Mechanical Fabrication Supervisor are essential.
Essential Job Functions
- Fabricate portions of sets and/or other items for general production use, under tight deadlines while maintaining a high standard of fabrication.
- Work within schedules and deadlines set by supervisors in order to meet production targets.
- Keep supervisors informed of all activities, problems and issues arising.
- Responsible for the maintenance and care of all welding equipment and tooling.
- Use power tools and welding tools proficiently and adhering to safety standards.
- Help in general organization and upkeep of the workshop and records.
- Ability to multi-task efficiently as priorities change and to be able to work at speed under pressure when necessary.
- Must be able to follow specific directions and design and not deviate without seeking approval from supervisor.
- 1+ years of experience in metal fabrication or similar experience, with film/TV production experience a plus.
- Good understanding of mechanical design and typical shop math and materials.
- Knowledgeable about welding materials, tools and safety.
- Strong aesthetic sense.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.