The primary duty of the Laser/Water Jet Operator is to safely operate the water jet, laser cutting machines and support the production team. This position is also responsible for the daily setup and operation of the equipment to include file management, daily area upkeep, machine maintenance work, trouble-shooting and material staging.
Essential Job Functions
- Create, modify, and optimize artwork in Adobe Illustrator.
- Operate the water jet, laser cutting machines and other machinery used in the production process.
- Maintain production goals through a great level of attention to detail from start to finish as determined in conjunction with supervisor.
- Ensure production schedule follow through as allocated by the scheduling.
- Keep work area clean and organized.
- Work with team members to maximize productivity and efficiency.
- Load programs and set machine parameters to ensure optimal performance of the equipment.
- Follow all safety rules and quality standards as outlined by the company guidelines.
- Perform minor maintenance and cleaning of cutting equipment, ventilation systems and work area in accordance with company standards and manufacturer’s machine recommendations.
- Perform some machine alignment procedures and optic cleaning to keep equipment at peak operating performance.
- Proactive in reaching out to other departments to resolve priority conflicts that may arise or to communicate issues that might delay the delivery of requests.
- B.S./B.A. in film, art or related field or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Prior experience with laser and water jet cutter a must
- Adobe Illustrator proficiency required.
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, time manage.
- Detail oriented.
- Capable of working in a professional manner with little to no direct supervision. Should feel comfortable as problem solver and must be able to find solutions quickly and easily.
- Work in a fast paced environment with fast changing priorities.
- Solid background working with sheet materials (plastics, woods, metals, etc.).
- Knowledge of tooling and tool maintenance.
- Proficient with measurements and mathematical fraction/decimal conversion skills.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Some drawing and reading comprehension skills.
- Safety conscious behavior.
- Communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to work with all levels within the organization.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Able to lift up to 30 lbs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.