The CG Rigging Lead will lead the Rapid Prototype Rigging team and work collaboratively with various departments to achieve intended performance requirements. The primary responsibility is to create highly versatile facial rigs and animation interfaces. Works closely with the riggers, animators, and RP department leadership to develop efficient and effective facial rigs for our production.
Essential Job Functions
- Manage a team of riggers, and focus their efforts to achieve production goals.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of facial rigs using a combination of proprietary and 3rd party toolsets.
- Review all work produced by the rigging team, provide guidance and performance feedback, and play a leading role in resolving performance issues and maintaining positive morale.
- Work with RP Production Management and the RP Director to formulate bids and timelines.
- Identify, define, prioritize, and implement specific creative and production workflow process steps that will solve problems and enhance the production's creative tools.
- Work with RP department leadership to evaluate, research and recommend techniques and ideas to improve the rigging pipeline.
- Keep up with current technology trends and tools (hardware and software) that best suit the production (and the company) in the development of a stronger creative technical environment.
- Foster and enable communication across all RP team members. Work closely with other production departments to ensure that production needs are understood and met and that rigs are consistently efficient, fast and intuitive.
- Strong experience in leading a team for multiple large-scale productions - preferably a character pipeline.
- Degree in computer science, art, animation, engineering, or equivalent experience that would equal the same level of professionalism, problem solving and analytical skills
- 10+ years of CG feature film and/or Visual Effects or equivalent facial rigging, scripting and tool development experience
- Experience rigging a variety of production-level facial animation systems, plus experience with body and prop rigs.
- Strong comprehension of anatomy and articulation (human and creature mechanics)
- Modeling skills and ability to understand polygonal edge flow and how it relates to facial rigging.
- Background in visual arts/design with a strong understanding of form, geometry and movement.
- 3D printing experience a plus
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.