The Production Supervisor, VFX is responsible for the VFX department’s operational strategy, overseeing day-to-day operations and managing departmental staff. Acts as the first point of contact in evaluating departmental resources needed by each production, working closely with the Head of Department. Works with department leadership to identify work assignments, create reports, and manage resources. As the management representative for the department, works closely with HR, Recruiting, Finance and Producers on all relevant matters. Supervisor reports directly to the show’s Producer and indirectly to the Head of Production.
Essential Job Functions
- Act as first point of contact for show Producer. Work closely with the Visual Effects Supervisor to evaluate the needs of each show, and provide scheduling and staffing recommendations based on those needs.
- Participate in the creation or enhancement of the Director’s vision through utilization of the department’s team and resources.
- Work closely with other department leadership to estimate and establish resource requirements, budgets, schedules and performance standards for the department so that all deadlines can be met, including to but not limited to forecasting labor and non-labor needs.
- Manage the daily communication across all departments to ensure production priorities, objectives and changes are properly communicated, understood and coordinated.
- Supervise the day-to-day operations of the visual effects production management office.
- Oversee creation and management of asset and shot schedules. Manage production actuals.
- Provide feedback to employees including through the semi-annual feedback process.
- Stay apprised of new, relevant technologies and build relationships with independent contractors and outside vendors.
- Provide critical information to leadership on developments, concerns, and potential challenges facing the department.
- Identify potential problem areas within the department workflow and alert other department leaders immediately to any problems.
- Advise and consult with studio on strategies for long term growth such as training and internships, new equipment, technologies and support services to enhance efficiencies and departmental output.
- Initiate and lead daily VFX production meetings and follow through on any issues arising from these meetings with all appropriate employees.
- Supervise schedulers, coordinators and PAs within the department.
- Act as point of contact for show Producer and Post Production Supervisor regarding deliverables.
- B.S./B.A. in film, art or related field. 8+ years experience in project management, preferable in live action visual effects.
- General understanding of techniques and methods for a stop motion animated film. Strong understanding of live action visual effects workflows.
- Knowledge of project management software (FastTrack, Shotgun, MS Project, Excel).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.