The CG Facial Rigger is responsible for creating highly art directed, flexible facial rigs that will be printed and used on physical puppets. This process relies heavily on the creation of anatomically-based blend shapes, but also requires writing Python scripts and tools to augment and support the entire workflow. CG Facial Riggers educate Facial Animators on rig usage, as well as support the rigs throughout the production process to meet the changing requirements of other departments including CG Texture, CG Modeling, Puppet-building and 3D Printing.
Essential Job Functions
- Creates highly art-directed facial rigs using a variety of techniques
- Sculpts anatomically-based facial blend shapes
- Troubleshoots rigs in animation scenes
- Designs, writes, and implements new Python scripts, tools, plugins, and techniques to aid in the facial rigging process.
- Works effectively as part of a small team of Facial Riggers to freely share ideas, techniques, and feedback to optimize department workflows.
- Builds GUIs for integration of tools into a facial rigging pipeline
- Degree in computer science, art, animation, engineering, or equivalent experience that would equal the same level of professionalism, problem solving and analytical skills
- CG feature film and/or Visual Effects or equivalent facial rigging, scripting and tool development experience
- Experience rigging a variety of production-level facial animation systems
- Strong knowledge of Maya’s rigging tools and processes
- Experience with Maya’s sculpting tools for creating blend shapes
- Strong comprehension of anatomy and articulation (human and creature mechanics)
- Modeling skills and ability to understand polygonal edge flow and how it relates to facial rigging
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with Python is a must
- Knowledge and experience with PyQT/PySide , Maya API, C/C++, etc. is a plus
- Experience with developing scripts, tools, and plugins within a CG animation pipeline is a plus
- 3D printing experience is a plus
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Please review our Employment Disclaimer and Materials Submission Agreement.