Senior Life Underwriter
Want to work on something that matters? Ladder is life insurance built to be instant, simple, and smart. Life insurance is a fundamentally good product for families and communities. Unfortunately, the traditional life insurance process is unnecessarily burdensome, involving in-person meetings with agents, physical paperwork, and 6-8 weeks of waiting. This outdated process has resulted in a $16 trillion coverage gap in the United States.
We are a growing team of innovators going after this huge market by putting the user at the center of product design. We are creating a company built on technology, design, and data science so users can get the coverage they want and need.
What You’ll Do
We believe life insurance innovation must happen in the context of sound underwriting decisions. The Senior Underwriter will collaborate with our internal and external case underwriters to ensure quality risk assessments are made while helping users have the most delightful experience possible.
- Bring your expertise as an underwriter to cross-functional Ladder work teams.
- Evaluate medical and personal history on life insurance applications up to $3 million face amount.
- Manage varying volumes of application review within set quality standards and turn around times.
- Collaborate with our external underwriters and continue to build into the strength of that relationship.
- Work closely with the Customer Experience and Compliance teams to answer underwriting related questions and share underwriting knowledge.
- Identify process improvements to gain efficiencies in automated and manual underwriting
- Assist with audit case reviews to ensure underwriting accuracy and quality.
- Be comfortable both underwriting and applying your knowledge to systems and processes.
- Report to the Underwriting Lead.
Who You Are
- A master of collaboration who is comfortable working with many cross-functional stakeholders.
- An innovator. Someone who is passionate about insurance, and wants to help create a new paradigm to make insurance more accessible and affordable for the next generation of buyers.
- A strategic thinker and builder. Someone who wants to apply their life insurance underwriting expertise to help drive Ladder’s success.
- An optimist, committed to continuous learning, iteration, and user-centered everything.
- A great communicator who listens well, asks questions, and has a sense of humor.
What You’ve Done
- 5+ years of life insurance underwriting experience at a leading carrier or reinsurer.
- Experience with auditing, reviewing automated decisions or mentoring junior underwriters preferred.
- Experience with accelerated underwriting and third-party evidence providers is a plus.
- Demonstrated interest in innovation and better serving end users.
Location: Palo Alto, CA. Willing to consider remote locations for the right candidate.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. Ladder is building a diverse team of talented and enthusiastic people. We are an equal opportunity workplace. At Ladder, differences are celebrated and supported for the benefit of our people, our product, and our community. Let us know why you’re interested in this position and what unique contributions you can make to the Ladder team.