Want to work on something that matters? Ladder is life insurance built to be instant, simple, and smart. Life insurance is a fundamentally good product for families and communities. Unfortunately, the traditional life insurance process is unnecessarily burdensome, involving in-person meetings with agents, physical paperwork, and 6-8 weeks of waiting. This outdated process has resulted in a $16 trillion coverage gap in the United States.
We are a growing team of innovators going after this huge market by putting the user at the center of product design. We are creating a company built on technology, design, and data, so users can get the coverage they want and need.
This role is a strategic part of what Ladder is up to and involves creating a crucial piece of Ladder's roadmap. We are looking for someone who is exceptionally talented in actuarial finance, who can oversee outside actuaries and accountants, and who has the finance chops to dive deep into the valuation and finance models, build financial reporting structures, and model capital requirements of growing a life insurance book in the US. This person will report to the Chief Actuary and is responsible for helping create Ladder’s actuarial valuation framework, managing reinsurance programs, as well as helping to build and maintain the overall financial business planning model. He/she/they will be able to produce experience studies and create meaningful management reports that are both efficient and that can scale with Ladder’s growth. Many assignments will be complex and require an independent, intellectually curious, and detailed personality who can efficiently partner with the members of the Actuarial, Finance, Engineering, and Product teams.
- Create and maintain an industry-changing valuation system for a fast growing life insurance book.
- Manage actuarial finance functions including statutory reporting, experience studies, assumption setting, and capital and financial planning.
- Own our quarterly statutory reporting process including the preparation of timely and accurate financial reports and all supporting documentation.
- Assist the Finance team as required.
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries, with strong US Statutory and GAAP knowledge.
- 10+ years of relevant actuarial finance experience in life insurance.
- Exceptional analytical skills and experience working in a metrics-driven organization.
- Advanced knowledge of actuarial valuation software, ideally GGY Axis. Advanced Excel knowledge should be standard and SQL experience is a plus.
- Experience both executing and leading the actuarial finance function at a fast growing company.
- Excellent communications skills, with experience managing external partner relationships.
Ladder is building a diverse team of talented and enthusiastic people. We are an equal opportunity workplace. At Ladder, differences are celebrated and supported for the benefit of our people, our product, and our community. Let us know why you’re interested in this position and what unique contributions you can make to the Ladder team.