Want to work on something that matters? Ladder is life insurance built to be instant, simple, and smart. Life insurance is a fundamentally good product for families and communities. Unfortunately, the traditional life insurance process is unnecessarily burdensome, involving in-person meetings with agents, physical paperwork, and 6-8 weeks of waiting. This outdated process has resulted in a $16 trillion coverage gap in the United States.
We are a growing team of innovators going after this huge market by putting the user at the center of product design. We've combined a dead-simple, online application with automatic, real-time underwriting to make instant decisions and provide on-the-spot coverage.
We're looking for experienced engineers who are excited to help us reimagine what life insurance can be.
You may be a great fit even if you don't meet some or any of the following. We'd love to meet you and hear about your unique skillset!
- Implement full-stack features that directly impact our users and business
- Take ownership over our codebase and shape our technical direction
- Mentor and teach other engineers through pair programming, code reviews, and architectural discussions
- Scale our engineering processes as we grow
You may be a good fit if you have...
- Previous experience building production web applications
- Excellent communication skills, especially in a remote context
- Excitement about or previous experience being a technical leader
- Familiarity or experience with our tech stack
- Interest in reimagining consumer financial services
Our engineering values
- Bottom-up leadership: teams are most successful when everybody shares their ideas, comfortable that they'll be seriously considered. Engineers can and should provide product & business insights.
- Ship fast without breaking things: we've invested heavily in engineering tooling that provides guardrails without getting in your way. We believe in shipping MVPs & iterating quickly rather than waiting for perfection to ship.
- Invest in automation: automating repetitive tasks saves time and reduces errors. We're always on the lookout for manual workflows to automate away.
- Continuous improvement: we learn from our past wins & losses by conducting blameless retros. Everybody has something to learn and something to teach.
Within one week, you'll:
- be paired with an onboarding mentor - your go-to person for all engineering questions
- begin learning about our codebase, tech stack, and business
- ship & deploy your first user-facing change to production!
Within one month, you'll:
- set up short, medium, and long-term goals with your manager
- be fully integrated into one of our product teams
- become comfortable with our tooling and processes
- provide feedback about our hiring & initial onboarding processes
Within six months, you'll:
- ship at least one major project from start to finish
- become the subject matter expert of a significant portion of our codebase
- improve our technical and product processes
While it's great if you're already familiar with some of these, we strongly believe that general technical proficiency is more important than knowledge of specific technologies. If the role sounds interesting, please apply even if you don't know any of these technologies!
- Frontend: Clojurescript, React, GraphQL
- Backend: Clojure, JVM
- Infrastructure: Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Packer, Terraform, AWS
- Data: BigQuery, Tableau, BEAM
What we offer
- One of Fortune's Best Workplaces in 2020 and 2021
- 401k with matching
- Extended option exercise
- Fitness reimbursement
- Stipend for remote work
- Unmetered paid vacation
- And more! For our full list of benefits, see https://www.ladderlife.com/careers
Ladder is building a diverse team of talented and enthusiastic people. We are an equal opportunity workplace. At Ladder, differences are celebrated and supported for the benefit of our people, our product, and our community. Let us know why you’re interested in this position and what unique contributions you can make to the Ladder team.