Ladder is reinventing life insurance. We are a growing team of innovators creating a company built on beautiful design, powerful technology, advanced data science and an incredible consumer experience. Our team is made up of people who are both inspired innovators and results driven individuals who are prepared to roll up their sleeves and challenge the status quo, all to redeem and grow a fundamentally important product that is good for families and communities.
We’re looking for a Director of Compliance to report to and work closely with Ladder’s General Counsel / Chief Compliance Officer to develop, implement and enforce Ladder’s compliance program.
What You'll Do
- Continuously enhance and manage Ladder’s compliance framework.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Ladder’s business teams (e.g., product, engineering, marketing, and business development) to find solutions to business needs that satisfy regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Partner with Ladder’s legal and business teams on Ladder’s engagement with state insurance regulators, including driving strong results in regulatory exams and other engagements with regulators and auditors, and managing Ladder’s licensing requirements.
- Track and understand the changing regulatory environment to ensure policies, procedures and key stakeholders are kept current.
- Build and manage Ladder’s compliance team.
- Work effectively in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines.
Who You Are
- An experienced innovator. You've managed a compliance team before, understand what best practices look like, and enjoy balancing best practices against the needs of a start-up.
- Action-oriented. You get things done and are not afraid of the fast pace and rapid change at a start-up.
- Proactive. You are equally adept at getting things done autonomously and as a member of a team in an entrepreneurial environment.
- A master of collaboration. You are comfortable working with many cross-functional stakeholders, including product, engineering, marketing, and business development.
- A great communicator. You listen well, ask questions, and have a sense of humor.
What You've Done
- 8-10+ years of relevant compliance experience with insurance or financial services companies. Some experience with direct-to-consumer online insurance or financial services companies is preferred.
- BS/BA required; JD or other relevant graduate degree is preferred.
- Experience in both executing and leading the compliance function.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex and sensitive issues to senior management in a clear and persuasive manner.
- Strong project management, critical thinking and analytical skills.