For over one hundred years, cities have managed their streets with concrete, paint, signage, and signals. The last ten years have seen a dramatic degradation of cities' ability to manage the movement of vehicles in the public realm. The tools currently available to them to fight back are not comprehensive enough, largely proprietary and have done a poor job of solving for the real issues.
Lacuna works with cities and agencies to establish a new, digital environment that will allow them to effectively manage the public right-of-way for the next 100 years. This will result in a digital infrastructure that will fully support 21st century mobility – for everything from scooters to autonomous vehicles to drones and flying taxis. We aspire to be uniquely city and public friendly -- we are building this future on a foundation of open source and open standards, with privacy- and society-first principles from the start.
We are housed at Playground Global, an incubator with fantastic facilities, near the Cal Ave train station in Palo Alto, CA.
How you’ll have impact
We are looking for a seasoned data engineer with experience in operating large-scale data systems. As Lacuna grows to a global scale, we are taking challenges involving scalability, single- vs. multi-tenancy in multi-cloud environment, managing customer SLAs, and staying on top of a rapidly evolving platform.
In this role, you will drive initiative on data as infrastructure and enable urban mobility to be managed as code through the use of data engineering tools. You’ll be an evangelist to drive data processing design and framework on reliability and scalability. You’ll develop automation for a Big-Data infrastructure to provision and deploy Lacuna's services on multiple cloud environments at a global scale.
What you'll need
- 3+ years of experience as a Data or Platform Engineer managing BigData pipelines (experience with batch, stream and ad-hoc processing for billions of daily events)
- 2+ years of experience with deploying data services in the cloud (AWS, Azure or GCP)
- 2+ years of experience working on data modeling, database management and in-depth knowledge of SQL/NoSQL
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of ETL/ELT and data processing technologies
- Demonstrate programming skill in languages such as Python/ML or Java/BigData.
- Build monitoring and alerting systems to ensure quick response to processing issues, with auto-scaling capability to meet workload on demand
- Implement best practices and maintain policies on data quality and data security
- Create and improve reports, dashboard, metrics and analytics to serve business need
- Troubleshoot and conduct root-cause analysis of data issues, pipeline outages and other operational problems.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
Gold stars for experience with
- Cloud-native serverless/containerized systems (Lambda, Kubernetes)
- Familiarity with machine learning toolkits such as scikit-learn,TensorFlow or PyTorch.
- Master's degree in Computer Science or related field
Lacuna is an equal opportunity employer. In building a product to solve real world problems for our cities, we strive to build a company representative of those cities. We encourage diversity in thought, experience, background and perspective. We are committed to creating such an environment for all employees.