For over one hundred years, cities have managed their streets with concrete, paint, signage, and signals. The last ten years have seen a dramatic degradation of cities' ability to manage the movement of vehicles in the public realm. The tools currently available to them to fight back are not comprehensive enough, largely proprietary and have done a poor job of solving for the real issues.
Lacuna is working directly with cities to establish a new, digital environment that will allow them to effectively manage the public right-of-way for the next 100 years. This will result in a digital infrastructure that will fully support 21st century mobility – for everything from scooters to AVs to drones and flying taxis. We aspire to be uniquely city and public friendly -- we want to build this future on a foundation of open source and open standards, with privacy- and society-first principles from the start.
We are housed at Playground Global, an incubator with fantastic facilities, near the Cal Ave train station in Palo Alto, CA.
How You'll Have Impact
We are looking for a senior data scientist with experience in the transportation domain to join our growing data analytics and optimization group. You will play a crucial role in helping cities manage the evolution of their transportation systems in a rapidly changing environment. In particular, you will work with heterogeneous transportation data sources at a large scale to build demand and behavior models, derive actionable insights, and design machine learning and optimization tools for offline and online applications including real-time compliance and externality pricing. By working in close collaboration with colleagues that can build production-grade software systems implementing your methods and tools, your work will have an almost immediate impact.
What you’ll need
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Transportation Engineering, Operations Research, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related technical field (Ph.D. preferred).
- Advanced knowledge of optimization and statistical methods, with a focus on transportation applications.
- Experience working with geospatial data and developing visualizations.
- Experience in data analyses, especially using SQL and with data science libraries in Python or R.
- Strong communication skills.
Extra gold stars for experience with
- Transportation simulators (e.g., MATSim, SimMobility, PTV products, etc.)
- Transportation demand or behavioral modeling
- Incentive mechanism design
- Analyzing large-scale, heterogeneous transportation databases to support GIS-based analyses
- Deploying to and working with production systems through automation and CI/CD
Lacuna is an equal opportunity employer. In building a product to solve real world problems for our cities, we strive to build a company representative of those cities. We encourage diversity in thought, experience, background and perspective. We are committed to creating such an environment for all employees.