For over one hundred years, cities have managed their streets with concrete, paint, signage, and signals. The last ten years have seen a dramatic degradation of cities’ ability to manage the movement of vehicles in the public realm. The tools currently available to them to fight back are limited, largely proprietary, and have done a poor job of solving for real issues.
Lacuna is working directly with cities to establish a new, digital environment that will allow them to effectively manage the public right-of-way for the next 100 years. This will result in a digital infrastructure that will fully support 21st century mobility—everything from scooters to self-driving cars to flying taxis. We aspire to be uniquely city- and public-friendly—we want to build this future on a foundation of open source and open standards, with privacy- and society-first principles from the start.
We are housed at Playground Global, an incubator with fantastic facilities, near the California Avenue train station in Palo Alto, CA.
About the Role
Lacuna’s Director of Data Engineering will be responsible for overseeing all data engineering related activities of the team, ensuring technical excellence and delivery aligned with our overall vision. You will be a seasoned leader of organizations and people, with a strong understanding of and experience with data architectures, information systems deployment, storage techniques, and information management and analysis tools.
- Build and lead our data engineering organization
- Design and implement appropriate data architectures, infrastructure, data ingestion pipelines and enablement tools, processes, and controls to help the data engineering team grow at scale
- Develop a data management and analysis strategy that spans and informs all areas of the business from product innovation to customer success
- Guide, influence and inspire your team
- Develop the data roadmap using the most appropriate technologies and manage and expand in-house data teams to support growth
- Partner with other engineering teams, data science, product, and other relevant teams to create solutions for specific customer implementations
- Minimum of 5 years experience as an organizational and people leader
- Proven ability to build and mentor a highly technical engineering team while also demonstrating the ability to discuss, understand and synthesize solutions for the business needs and data management requirements of other organizational units
- Strong collaboration across the organization, from top to bottom, with strong empathy, and ability to creatively solve problems
- Ability to make data-driven decisions when faced with ambiguity, while motivating and leading team contributors through complex problem domains
- Significant engineering experience with technical depth and breadth
- Previous start-up experience including projects where you have built and delivered high-throughput, high-capacity, secure data acquisition, processing and management systems
Lacuna is an equal opportunity employer. In building a product to solve real world problems for our cities, we strive to build a company representative of those cities. We encourage diversity in thought, experience, background and perspective. We are committed to creating such an environment for all employees.