For over one hundred years, cities have managed their streets with concrete, paint, signage and signals. The last ten years have seen a dramatic degradation of cities’ ability to manage the movement of vehicles in the public realm. The tools currently available to them to fight back are not comprehensive enough, largely proprietary and have done a poor job of solving for the real issues.
Lacuna is working directly with cities to establish a new, digital environment that will allow them to effectively manage the public right-of-way for the next 100 years. This will result in a digital infrastructure that will fully support 21st century mobility – for everything from scooters to AVs to flying taxis. We aspire to be uniquely city and public friendly -- we want to build this future on a foundation of open source and open standards, with privacy- and society-first principles from the start.
We are housed at Playground Global, an incubator with fantastic facilities, near the Cal Ave train station in Palo Alto, CA.
We are looking for a seasoned automation engineer with experience in performing verification and validation of complex, large-scale systems. As Lacuna grows to global scale, we will deal with multiple interacting backend services, web and mobile applications, and integrations with external systems. Over time we will be deploying into multiple cloud providers as well. Reliability, performance, and security are paramount for the success of our clients and customers, so we must be vigilant in our efforts to maintain high quality software and operations.
You will be responsible for working closely with software engineers to develop quality measurements and practices from the earliest stages of specification, through design, implementation, and deployment. You will serve as the last line of defense for preventing issues from becoming visible to our diverse customers. We are looking for someone who is curious, skeptical, detail-oriented, and has a gift for finding ways to break software.
- Establish standards and practices for automated testing, including unit, functional, integration, performance, and regression tests
- Architect and automate release processes to minimize downtime, provide for timely rollbacks if needed, and give high confidence that a release is correct and performant
- Perform proactive manual evaluation of existing systems to hunt for gaps in test coverage, or other unexpected behaviors
- Work with devops to automate any manual checks that increase confidence in our ability to detect issues in production systems
- Supervise periodic security audits from third-party providers; follow up with devops and developers to ensure that issues are addressed or mitigated in a timely fashion
- Build performance-test harnesses to evaluate system scalability and characterize latency and throughput
- Write detailed test plans, bug reports, and outage post-mortems
- Sufficient developer skills to implement automation tasks and perform code reviews, in more than one language
- Experience validating back-end, web-app, and mobile, and their mutual interactions
- Understanding & experience with of a broad array of test harnesses and CI/CD systems
- Experience with cloud-native serverless/containerized systems (Lambda, Kubernetes)
- Familiarity with authentication services (Auth0, AWS Cognito)
- Degree in computer science or a related field
Lacuna is an equal opportunity employer. In building a product to solve real world problems for our cities, we strive to build a company representative of those cities. We encourage diversity in thought, experience, background and perspective. We are committed to creating such an environment for all employees.