For over one hundred years, cities have managed their streets with concrete, paint, signage, and signals. The last ten years have seen a dramatic degradation of cities' ability to manage the movement of vehicles in the public realm. The tools currently available to them to fight back are not comprehensive enough, largely proprietary and have done a poor job of solving for the real issues.
Lacuna is working directly with cities to establish a new, digital environment that will allow them to effectively manage the public right-of-way for the next 100 years. This will result in a digital infrastructure that will fully support 21st century mobility – for everything from scooters to AVs to drones and flying taxis. We aspire to be uniquely city and public friendly -- we want to build this future on a foundation of open source and open standards, with privacy- and society-first principles from the start.
We are housed at Playground Global, an incubator with fantastic facilities, near the Cal Ave train station in Palo Alto, CA.
We are looking for a seasoned devops/platform engineer with experience in operating large-scale systems. As Lacuna grows to global scale, we will be dealing with issues involving single- vs. multi-tenancy installations, managing customer SLAs, and staying ahead of a rapidly evolving platform.
You will be responsible for provisioning and managing both customer-facing production and development environments. As we take on new customers and grow our infrastructure, your goals will include refining our monitoring and alerting systems, helping migrate from a regional to an edge-based architecture, and improving our CI/CD pipelines.
How you'll have impact:
- Develop automation for provisioning a scalable, highly-available infrastructure for Lacuna's services and applications to multiple cloud providers
- Build monitoring and alerting to ensure quick response to issues, proactively respond by e.g. scaling resources to meet demand.
- Work with engineering in design decisions such as tool and library choices.
- Manage integrations of third-party services such as authentication providers.
- Troubleshooting and root-cause analysis of outages and other operational problems.
- Rapid development of skills in new technologies as needed
- Use of software engineering tools such as source-control for managing infrastructure as code.
- Develop process and tooling for continuous integration and deployment of Lacuna's codebase
- Participate in maintenance and development for any in-house open source software projects
What you'll need:
- Experience with highly-scalable, highly-reliable global infrastructure
- 5+ years of experience in a DevOps or Platform Engineer position
- Familiarity with authentication services (Auth0, AWS Cognito)
- Disciplined monitoring and alerting - know what's important while avoiding fatigue/overload
- Strong technical skills in troubleshooting issues of complex distributed systems
- Continuous integration & deployment pipelines
- IaaS automation (CloudFormation, Terraform, etc)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
Extra gold stars for experience with:
- Cloud-native serverless/containerized systems (Lambda, Kubernetes)
- Master's degree in Computer Science or related field
Lacuna is an equal opportunity employer. In building a product to solve real world problems for our cities, we strive to build a company representative of those cities. We encourage diversity in thought, experience, background and perspective. We are committed to creating such an environment for all employees.