For over one hundred years, cities have managed their streets with concrete, paint, signage and signals. The last ten years have seen a dramatic degradation of cities’ ability to manage the movement of vehicles in the public realm. The tools currently available to them to fight back are not comprehensive enough, largely proprietary and have done a poor job of solving for the real issues.
Lacuna is working directly with cities to establish a new, digital environment that will allow them to effectively manage the public right-of-way for the next 100 years. This will result in a digital infrastructure that will fully support 21st century mobility – for everything from scooters to AVs to flying taxis. We aspire to be uniquely city and public friendly -- we want to build this future on a foundation of open source and open standards, with privacy- and society-first principles from the start.
We are housed at Playground Global, an incubator with fantastic facilities, near the Cal Ave train station in Palo Alto, CA.
We have openings across the country for this position.
How You'll Have Impact
You will play a critical role with our city partners, managing our overall relationships as well as the success of our software deployments. You’ll choreograph a team that will include Sales Engineering, Technical Support, Technical Program Management, and Policy functions. You combine knowledge of how we deliver value with the ability to manage clients on a day-to-day basis. You are at once responsible for customer success, a strategic advisor, and a liaison to the Lacuna product team.
As the key company representative most frequently meeting with city contacts - both elected and professional staff, plus affiliated personnel - you must ensure expectations are aligned and provide the project management oversight needed to meet client expectations in a fast-changing environment as we and an open-source community evolve what’s possible.
As we rapidly scale to serve strong customer demand for our services, you may regularly be involved in business development efforts with new cities, helping design the implementation plans which would support a customer and then seeing that plan through to completion. Responsibilities may include the development of presentations, management of team-work, and coordination with software development teams. The ideal Engagement Lead is an interdisciplinary thinker and motivated problem-solver, always in search of a path to greater impact.
- Excitement around the future of transportation, cities, and digital infrastructure
- At least 2 years of post-graduate consulting experience, ideally with experience as a team lead, or equivalent consulting or customer success experience
- Strong team coordination and communication skills
- Deep critical reasoning skills and capacity to synthesize complex problems
- Experience managing senior client relationships as primary liaison. Track record in building client relationships within large organizations and helping to deepen those relationships and identify new business opportunities
- Desire to operate in a start-up environment: tremendous growth opportunities, but with commensurate need for flexibility and rapid learning as we evolve
- Ability to travel 50 - 75% required
Extra gold stars for…
- Technical degree
- Programming, scripting or statistical SW experience (e.g. Python, R, SQL, Stata).
- Experience working with, or within, local or other government services
- Civil engineering, Urban planning, or Transportation experience
Lacuna is an equal opportunity employer. In building a product to solve real world problems for our cities, we strive to build a company representative of those cities. We encourage diversity in thought, experience, background and perspective. We are committed to creating such an environment for all employees.