For over one hundred years, cities have managed their streets with concrete, paint, signage, and signals. The last ten years have seen a dramatic degradation of cities’ ability to manage the movement of vehicles in the public realm. The tools currently available to them to fight back are not comprehensive enough, largely proprietary and have done a poor job of solving for the real issues.
Lacuna is working directly with cities to establish a new, digital environment that will allow them to effectively manage the public right-of-way for the next 100 years. This will result in a digital infrastructure that will fully support 21st century mobility – for everything from scooters to AVs to flying taxis. We aspire to be uniquely city and public friendly -- we want to build this future on a foundation of open source and open standards, with privacy- and society-first principles from the start.
We are housed at Playground Global, an incubator with fantastic facilities, near the Cal Ave train station in Palo Alto, CA.
You will be responsible for building and leading the organization's communications program, creating a strong reputation. You will collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders, external agencies, and partners in the planning and execution of corporate communications strategy across audiences – from customers to transportation experts to investors.
You will also play a critical role in driving the organization’s brand development, storytelling, and narrative creation, as well as overseeing and managing Lacuna’s media relations’ work. You will work closely with the leadership team to advance Lacuna’s thought leadership and promote our business offerings across events, speaking engagements, and other activities. This role will also work closely with both our Government Affairs and HR teams to communicate to policy-makers and prospective employees respectively.
- Develop a clear and thorough communications strategy, plan and cadence
- Develop, oversee and manage media relations and strategic communications budget
- Identify proactive press opportunities in support of organizational priorities (i.e. supporting a new offering announcement, outlining a policy position)
- Manage all aspects of reactive press requests, including crisis communications and ensure utilization of all the tools available to support Lacuna’s brand and position
- Develop and manage relationships with key reporters and analysts in market
- Identify and drive opportunities for to promote Lacuna’s brand, offerings, and thought leadership with events, speaking engagements, and awards
- Build relationships and partner with staff across the organization to develop communication strategies supporting our broader culture & goals
- Develop written materials (story pitches, messaging guidelines, Q&As, briefs, presentations, speeches, etc.)
- Lead brand development and management
- Manage Lacuna’s website and ensure quality and consistency of brand identity, narrative, tone and personality through the media and across all channels (website, social media, email, mobile, video, print and in-person).
- Develop and lead external and internal communications including (newsletters, investor updates, etc)
- 10~ years of relevant communications experience
- Self-starter, self-motivated leader comfortable operating with strategic direction and autonomy to deliver results
- Experience in managing projects and stories in a fast paced environment
- Maintaining enthusiasm and calm demeanor in even the most stressful situations
- The ability to work at both strategic and tactical levels…not afraid to “get your hands dirty”
- Direct experience managing public relation firms and other vendors to shape a strategic communications vision and plan
- Understands and has experience in crisis communication
- Unwavering verbal communications skills in any situation
- Excellent writing skills with samples to share
- A demonstrated track record on innovative content creation and excellent public communications work
- Ability to collaboratively develop and execute new strategic marketing initiatives
- Passionate about the mission of the organization
Lacuna is an equal opportunity employer. In building a product to solve real world problems for our cities, we strive to build a company representative of those cities. We encourage diversity in thought, experience, background and perspective. We are committed to creating such an environment for all employees.