LA 2028 is a non-profit public benefit corporation. The specific purpose of the organization is to improve and enhance the quality of life of the residents of the City of Los Angeles, California, and the surrounding metropolitan area through the hosting of the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Los Angeles. Its core activities include: (1) planning, organization, financing, promotion, sponsorship, hosting and staging the Games, (2) raising funds to be used to plan, organize, finance, promote, sponsor, host or stage the Games, and (3) creating and implementing sustainability and legacy programs for the Games.
Values and Behaviors:
- Optimism – Embody a positive, enthusiastic, and solution-oriented attitude in everything we do; inspire and support one another to achieve our best; have our eyes on the future and believe we can make a meaningful impact
- Integrity – We communicate openly and honestly, listen, and respectfully value multiple perspectives; we do what we say and are accountable for everything we do; we do the right thing, always. Even when it isn’t easy
- Excellence – We hold ourselves to the highest standard and expectations; we live our values and truths and persevere through challenges; we are continuous learners and adapt and pivot with speed to meet changing needs
- Inclusion – We seek to represent, include, empower and level the playing field; our work reflects the communities we serve and the world in which we live; we leverage our platforms to bring awareness to issues relevant to who we are
- Co-Creation – We are authors of a shared story. We embrace collaboration within and across teams; everyone contributes their unique voice to our shared mission; we share pride in our accomplishments and ownership of our shortcomings
- Boldness – We embrace creativity, courage and outside-the-box thinking; we are unafraid to take risks, explore unconventional solutions, and learn from the process; we are innovators, disruptors, and challengers of the status quo
Deputy General Counsel Job Description:
- Serve as legal advisor to the Chief Legal Counsel, General Counsel, senior management and division heads on identified corporate and intellectual property transactions and legal matters, including sponsorship, licensing and broadcast related transactions, and other transaction matters to support the delivery of the Games.
- Steady stream of analytical work, meetings, decision-making and drafting, including preparing, reviewing and negotiating all varieties of legal documents including but not limited to sponsorship agreements, licensing agreements, service agreements, legal memorandums and correspondence.
- Supervise, monitor and assist in the career development of all subordinate attorneys and paralegals, and ensures that appropriate evaluation procedures are conducted.
- Work with entire LA 2028 legal function to continually improve delivery of legal services.
- Perform significant ad hoc projects / duties as assigned by the General Counsel.
While experience in these areas is nice to have, we also look for candidates with intellectual curiosity and a demonstrated ability to learn quickly to round out areas where a candidate may not have depth of experience. This job description is a general summary of responsibilities and requirements and is not intended to be all-inclusive of the responsibilities and requirements of this position.
- Provide analysis and guidance on strategic projects.
- Work closely with individual departments to anticipate, identify and manage compliance matters, legal exposure and risk management.
- Review and understand all relevant corporate/stakeholder documents (including Host City Contract, Olympic Charter, Code of Ethics, etc.).
- Work with outside counsel on matters requiring representation.
- Ensure compliance with applicable international, federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Keep current on industry-wide legal trends and developments.
- Undergraduate degree, Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited law school required.
- California State Bar required
- 10+ years’ experience in broad-based transactional matters required.
- Concrete understanding of contract and corporate law, and business transactional principles.
- Strong interpersonal skills including ability to communicate and negotiate effectively with a variety of contacts, including outside attorneys, senior management and business associates.
- Excellent judgment, knowing when to escalate issues.
- Excellent analytical skills; capable of identifying and prioritizing issues and providing alternative solutions.
- Excellent project and time management skills and ability to manage and prioritize changing workloads to meet deadlines.
- Positive, team-oriented, and collaborative attitude.
- High level of personal integrity and professional ethics; ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Sound judgment and decision making skills.
- Prior in-house experience is a plus.
- Experience in sports or internationally is a plus (but not required!).
- Local candidates preferred.
An application must be accompanied by the following:
- A cover letter which indicates the position of interest and addresses the following:
- the highlights of your education and experience which specifically prepare you for this position;
- how you would contribute to the vision;
- demonstrated leadership and/or negotiating skills; and
- your interest in working in a diverse environment which reflects our values and behaviors.
- A resume to include three professional references with name, address, and phone number (to be contacted only if selected).
- Interviews will be conducted by a hiring committee.
- Position will remain open until filled.
LA28 is committed to operating fair and unbiased recruitment procedures allowing all applicants an equal opportunity for employment, free from discrimination on the basis of religion, race, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, color, ethnic or national origin, or any other classification as may be protected by applicable law. We aim to recruit the right people for the jobs we have to offer, and to assess applications on the basis of relevant skills, education, and experience.