Woven Planet is building the safest mobility in the world. A subsidiary of Toyota, Woven Planet innovates and invests in new technologies, software, and business models that transform how we live, work and move. With a focus on automated driving, smart cities, robotics and more, we build on Toyota's legacy of trust and safety to deliver mobility solutions for all.
For nearly a century, Toyota has been delivering products and services that improve lives. Automation that originated to increase the efficiency of daily activities has evolved into the safe, reliable, connected automobiles we enjoy and depend on today. Now, we are looking to the next 100 years and to extending that dream for a better life for all people. At Woven Planet we strive to build a safer, happier, more sustainable world.
Our unique global culture weaves modern Silicon Valley innovation and time-tested Japanese quality craftsmanship. The complementary strengths enable us to optimize safety, advance clean energy, elevate well-being, and improve how people live, work, and play. We envision a human-centered future where world-class technology solutions expand global access to mobility, amplify the capabilities of drivers, and empower humanity to thrive.
About the Organization
Woven Planet is developing automated driving technology using a data-driven approach. We’re building products at autonomy levels 2-4 to drive both near- and long-term improvements to mobility for all. Woven Planet has the backing of one of the world’s largest automakers, the talent to deliver on our goal, and a built in path to product and revenue—a combination rarely seen in the mobility industry. We’re looking for doers and creative problem solvers with a passion for improving lives.
Each member of our diverse and talented group of software and hardware engineers has the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on our technology and products. Our growing team works in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, tests AVs at our dedicated test track in Silicon Valley, and explores the industry’s most compelling research problems at our office in London. With support from our Woven Planet colleagues in Tokyo, our work to improve the future of mobility spans the globe.
The Simulation Team
The Simulation Team has an exciting role to play in providing tools and capabilities that enable Woven Planet (and subsequently Toyota) to accelerate a shift-left approach for development and testing of control, driver assistance, autonomy and other vehicular applications. This comes replete with as yet unresolved technological challenges that stand in the way of truly being able to test, especially, autonomy at scale. Expect to be challenged, both with complexity and the unknown as you endeavor to deliver software that can facilitate the slide of technology from the R&D of today to the product of tomorrow. The simulation stack itself is and will continue to be a diverse set of technologies - from C++ engine to userland libraries, from local system to cloud and from experimental to product. As a result, your position need not be contained, there can be opportunities to explore the stack and learn beyond what your primary role requires of you.
We are looking for senior software engineers that can lay the foundation for the technologies in our next-generation simulation ecosystem. You will be responsible for helping design and develop these technologies, ensuring they are portable, modular and can be recomposed into a variety of simulation tools to meet the diverse needs of vehicular technology development and testing at Woven Planet, Toyota and beyond. This does not have to be a from-scratch effort - it can leverage technology or concepts incoming from Toyota Research Institute and Lyft L5 (or elsewhere), but must eventually be able to contribute to solutions that embrace a future that is multi-customer, multi-use-case.
Beyond the technical, you’ll need to think from a user’s perspective, ship like a pro, work across teams and most importantly, be able to communicate on a number of levels. Our products need to be understandable and usable by developer teams at Woven Planet and Toyota as well as maintainable, reliable and extensible for our own needs. You’ll also play a pivotal role in building this team, developing team culture and setting the roadmap and of course, you will also be expected (and have the opportunity) to guide a small subteam along the way.
- Design & lead development on core simulation technologies (e.g. engine, scenarios, agent framework etc)
- Work with the architect, understand the needs of the (complex) simulation environment and align development accordingly
- Work with integration teams to ensure the technologies you create, work usefully and seamlessly
- Be transparent - alignment before & after the actual coding is essential
- Be a guiding hand in raising the bar on quality, alignment, stability, delivery and improving team velocity
- Be a mentor to the team on coding matters
Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent area
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Proven track record in crafting well-designed solutions that have impactful value within allotted time constraints
- Strong programming skills in either C++ or Python
- Strong background in areas relevant to designing core, well tested building blocks that others can rely on
- Ability to think, design and code for the user’s perspective
- An infectious passion for solving complex problems, learning new techniques and technologies!
Nice to Have:
- Experience with building real-time systems (a requirement of simulation for driver-assistance scenarios)
- Knowledge of one or more cloud compute platforms, such as AWS
- Experience with container technologies like Docker and container management systems like Kubernetes
- Experience with build systems, continuous integration and/or continuous deployment (CI/CD)
- Experience in the self-driving domain
- Experience with rendering solutions (for sensor simulation, or human-in-the-loop)
- Experience working with GPU compute (for sensor simulation or ML components)
・We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
・We pledge that any information we receive from candidates will be used ONLY for the purpose of hiring assessment.