Woven Planet is building the safest mobility in the world. A subsidiary of Toyota, Woven Planet innovates and invests in new technologies, software, and business models that transform how we live, work and move. With a focus on automated driving, smart cities, robotics and more, we build on Toyota's legacy of trust and safety to deliver mobility solutions for all.
For nearly a century, Toyota has been delivering products and services that improve lives. Automation that originated to increase the efficiency of daily activities has evolved into the safe, reliable, connected automobiles we enjoy and depend on today. Now, we are looking to the next 100 years and to extending that dream for a better life for all people. At Woven Planet we strive to build a safer, happier, more sustainable world.
Our unique global culture weaves modern Silicon Valley innovation and time-tested Japanese quality craftsmanship. The complementary strengths enable us to optimize safety, advance clean energy, elevate well-being, and improve how people live, work, and play. We envision a human-centered future where world-class technology solutions expand global access to mobility, amplify the capabilities of drivers, and empower humanity to thrive.
About the Organization
Woven Planet is developing automated driving technology using a data-driven approach. We’re building products at autonomy levels 2-4 to drive both near- and long-term improvements to mobility for all. Woven Planet has the backing of one of the world’s largest automakers, the talent to deliver on our goal, and a built in path to product and revenue—a combination rarely seen in the mobility industry. We’re looking for doers and creative problem solvers with a passion for improving lives.
Each member of our diverse and talented group of software and hardware engineers has the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on our technology and products. Our growing team works in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, tests AVs at our dedicated test track in Silicon Valley, and explores the industry’s most compelling research problems at our office in London. With support from our Woven Planet colleagues in Tokyo, our work to improve the future of mobility spans the globe.
About this role
This position is responsible for establishing and owning strategic supplier relationships that are critical to Woven Planet’s success in developing and productizing advanced Automated Driving (AD) technologies. You will report directly to Level 5’s Head of GSM and partner directly with Engineering leadership. You will be instrumental in helping the Engineering team define their roadmap (with GSM considerations best taken into account), establish and manage relationships with critical partners, conduct supplier evaluations, negotiate strategic agreements, and drive overall supply management. You will also partner with Woven Planet technical teams in Japan as well as with Toyota.
In addition to sourcing, procurement, and vendor management, you will contribute to the maturity of the overall function. This includes creating and refining processes, tools and templates that can be applied across all vendors and categories worldwide.
- Collaborate within the GSM team and across Engineering, Finance, and other departments to develop a commodity strategy and technology roadmap that aligns technology and business requirements with supplier capabilities.
- Work closely with Engineering to define standard and custom product requirements over both the near and mid-term.
- Work closely with Engineering to influence technical design decisions to optimally balance technical requirements, project timelines and business objectives. Manage the Approved Vendors List (AVL) for commodity, supplier selection and qualification.
- Ensure a competitive sourcing environment leading to continuous improvement in quality, cost, service and technology.
- Deliver periodic executive business review of commodity sourcing strategy, considering the industry landscape, supplier capabilities, scale and performance, product and technical roadmaps and strategic business objectives.
- Manage overall supplier relationships including supplier performance, capability development, cost and quality improvements.
- Maintain strong knowledge of market trends, cost structures (including development of should-cost models) and technical improvements.
- Work directly with key suppliers (manufacturers and distributors) to develop and implement sourcing and cost management strategies that support existing platforms and new product development.
- Manage Clear to Build (CTB) to ensure on-time availability of all materials- including all sub-tier suppliers
- Develop and implement business continuity plans for critical components either through dual sourcing strategy or long-term supply plan
- Negotiate and implement appropriate contracts with suppliers.
- Establish and implement procurement policies with suppliers to ensure quality, delivery, and cost improvements including KPI’s and scorecards.
- 5-10 years of experience in materials management, procurement or supply chain management in a high-volume consumer electronics industry or automotive electronics
- 2-3 years of commodity management in PCBA/Sensors/ECU for autonomy development
- 3-5 years of management of component sourcing within a manufacturing environment; CTB (clear to build ) management, component pull-in/push out, and negotiating cost reductions.
- Experience in contract manufacturing vendor management- focusing on build review, partnering with engineering/program management team to resolve technical and schedule road block
- Strong analytical skills, including mastery of cost modeling, TCO (total cost of ownership) analysis, demand forecasting, and development of cost reduction roadmaps
- BA/BS Degree in engineering-related field or the sciences
- MBA degree
- Experience sourcing automotive components with emphasis on certification for ISO 26262
- Experience in system level sourcing for vehicle electronic platform with embedded software and licensing deals
- Exposure to AUTOSAR/Blackberry and other vehicle-level software/firmware sourcing
- Prior experience in project team management positions and leading global project teams
・We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
・We pledge that any information we receive from candidates will be used ONLY for the purpose of hiring assessment.